cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone got a Nook Simple Touch?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Anyone got a Nook Simple Touch?

Just ordered a Nook Simple Touch to replace my ageing Sony that is refusing to startup.
From what I have seen there is a growing number of "tweaks" for it, from rooting to installing a google play market.
Since I was able to get it for a silly price* I have ordered 2 one for me and one for SHMBO who said last night she wanted one  Angry
Now I will be using Calibre and no silly DRMed content so will be rooting it asap, and removing the B&N app, so any tips?

* they are available for £29 just now or (£17.95 if you go to the right web site)
32 REPLIES
PowerLee
Rising Star

Re: Anyone got a Nook Simple Touch?

Anyone know if these Nook's can display PDF files?  Undecided
Community Veteran

I believe oob it will display pdf & epub's.
Rooted it will use what ever you install to view (kindle app/kobo app etc)
Community Veteran

Yup - got one and rooted it.
I didn't have to upgrade past 1.2.0 (1.2.1 wouldn't update on mine) so I risked it and it went swimmingly Smiley
I used NookManager 0.5.0 to root it and then NTGAppsAttack-0.5.0 to enable the Play Store.
It will read PDFs (just about) as standard but I installed APV PDF viewer which seems much better and was free.
I've also got AntTek Explorer with the SMB plugin so I can access my files over the network - this seems to work well.
Install Opera Mobile (not Mini) as the included browser leaks memory badly and can't be shut down or killed easily.
Community Veteran

Community Veteran

Here was the best guide I found that would work with the later firmware - read through a couple of times, make sure you have all the relevant apps downloaded, backup first then root it.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2040351
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2086582
I can honestly say it was one of the easier "hacks" I've done - basically charge, boot and register your Nook, create a micro-SD card with an image of NookManager, boot with the SD card in, press a couple of buttons and job done. Play store is similar and boots off the same SD card as the NookManager - into the custom menu and install the extra bits and off you go.
My Nook took around an hour on charge before it would turn on properly - they take around 3 hours on a wall wart to charge from new.
In standby with the wifi off, my Nook discharges at around 1.5% to 2% per day. Memory is rather limited and  you need to stay on top of closing down unused apps or you'll soon run out. Browsing is basic but usable (just) with Opera Mobile.
Community Veteran

Yep already got both of those files, Thinking about re-partitioning it as I will not be buying books from b&n and wasting 740Mb on that partition is just stupid.
Probably remove the extra partition and make a simlink to it, so all my books are in the same place.
Community Veteran

Just wondering how you found it reading wise, indoors and out?
And how is the weight compared to a paperback or a hardback?
Community Veteran

I is just like reading a book inside or out, bright sun (where ?) no problem, only problem is the same with all eink readers and books, when it gets darker you need a light  Wink
Weight wise, about the same as a paperback, size about the same as a small hardback book but thinner.
Compared to my old Sony, some things are better - more fonts & font sizes - some are worse - the organisation of books is rubbish, there is no way of having collections. It has "shelves" which you need to manually setup no tried these seem to take a lot of effort for little gain.
On my Sony I had all my books in collections (series') so I could read form book 1 to book n easily, With the nook the best I can do is have Author - series/series # - title sent from Calibre, so I still have access to the series just need to know the author as well. Not sure if I can rearrange it starting with series, I think the nook wants Author first.
Have read a couple of dozen books on it so far, its fine needed charged once in the past month reading 2-4 hours a day.
Community Veteran

Thanks for the info.
I'll have to give one a try if I can find one at the right price.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After a quick search I see Curry's / PC World do it for £29 free delivery.
Community Veteran

Don't know if they are still @£29 but if they are grab one, well worth it.
Fixes: 124

I'm beginning to think that one of these may be suitable for reading my OU stuff on when out save lugging some heavy books around as all the books/documents I've had so far have been available either in pdf or epub (occasionally both) with a few word docs which I can save in pdf format anyway.
So, would the Nook be good to go for that without having to resort to rooting.
It seems they are still available for £29 at some places Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Yep.
Epub's are the default on these and this is how pdf's look (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzkrLWjhxsY) I haven't used any pdf's yet.
No need to root unless you want to run extra apps on them.
Fixes: 124

Thanks Hairy Biker.
Have just ordered one from PCWorld with free delivery Smiley
Don't think I'll need any apps to be loaded as I always have my SmartPhone with me for that. I did try reading the OU books on my HTC Sensation but I had to zoom in so far for comfort that I was turning pages every couple of sentences.
One thing I meant to ask, though; is there an easy way to bookmark a page for next time or does it automatically save it?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

You can bookmark a page, but if you mean when you turn it off, it automatically restarts at the last page you read,