Did you mean: 

Anyone else see the irony here?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Anyone else see the irony here?

screenshot_561

You can view your usage except that in reality... you can't Crazy3

Where is the logic these days?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
33 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Anyone else see the irony here?

It`s an improvement to your service, therefore it will take time to get it working properly.... you know the old adage....

"Give us time.... and we`ll get there"   ....   ( or maybe not )...

198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Yes, @7up - very ironic.

In effect then, it's worse than useless if it doesn't track "popular high bandwidth services".

Looking at my usage it would appear that one of those services is BBC iPlayer. I downloaded 1·3GB's worth this morning but checking just I'm on 164·8MB for today.

Not young enough to know everything
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I've never really bothered looking at that data since I switched to unlimited 18 or so months back - if I want to know what I've used (and tbh, I'm not really bothered), Idata. have programs on both the laptop and IPad which give me real-time information (don't have to wait 'up to 4 hours' for it to log).

John
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Try running bit torrent for a while, in order to use the less popular sites etc.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Well it never worked correctly most of the time ,,, so they dont have to Fix it Shocked

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The internet shouldn't be limited anyway, it's not like it's a finite resource, the data doesn't just go away like a tank of water with a hole in the bottom... Crazy

Steve
Pro

There is other ways you can monitor your own usage. My router as an example has settings that, if I set, shows me my daily usage. I can even stop downloading at say, 40GB if I wanted. But I have unlimited internet. My xbox one shows me my daily usage but it is a rough est.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

My router i get this Smileyusage.PNG

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

Genuine question that I'm curious to know the answer to: Would you rather have access to a tool that shows usage, minus certain content, and with the caveat in question - or have no usage tool at all?

This assumes of course that the option to have an accurate reporting tool isn't an option Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

Neither!

I'd rather have an accurate usage tool!

We're not intending to change isp or anything but i do like to compare our usage against the bandwidth the mobile networks are offering. I have this instinctive thing that i need to have a back up internet connection plan should the landline fail for long periods. Obviously i can't compare whats on offer against what we're using without an accurate tool.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

bobpullen wrote:
Genuine question that I'm curious to know the answer to: Would you rather have access to a tool that shows usage, minus certain content, and with the caveat in question - or have no usage tool at all?

This assumes of course that the option to have an accurate reporting tool isn't an option Wink

That's like asking if I'd want an adjustable spanner whose adjuster keeps falling out and isn't that much use, nope,I wouldn't...

They say a bad workman blames his tools, but I say if the tool's faulty, the designers need to go back and re-think it...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@bobpullen something that works as is supposed to , would be nice Thumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

bobpullen wrote:

that's like saying would you rather have a punch in the face or a punch in the [-Censored-]s.
how about a tool that shows ALL the usage? you know, like a usage tool should?

we don't have cars that don't show the speed you are going at when on motorways, but does on all other roads.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

Thanks for the analogies. I give a choice of A & B, and you all choose C? - should have expected that really! Roll eyesGrin

Let's try again...

There are technical constraints/challenges that make developing a 'working' tool challenging, if not impossible - least not without significant architectural/commercial changes.

When your usage isn't metered, there's an argument to say you don't need a tool allowing you to monitor it. I personally would still rather have access to it, even though it's not tracking usage from some of the larger content providers - It's opinions like this that I was fishing for Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵