cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody see Buzzards in the Dales?

randpwar
Grafter

Anybody see Buzzards in the Dales?

We almost daily see Buzzards flying where we live in rural Warwickshire; I would typically see 3 or 4 on a normal dog walk, especially on clear cloudless days. Here’s the thing, we’ve recently returned from another holiday in the Yorkshire Dales as it’s an area we like and know well as my Mum was born and raised on a farm just outside Bedale and we have family in Askrigg and dotted about, despite the fact that we spend a great deal of time in very rural areas we have never seen a Buzzard flying whilst        in the Dales. It looks the sort of terrain that would suit them and there are an abundance of rabbits as foxes are shot on sight. I really do struggle to think of something about that area that would be detrimental to Buzzards thriving….but still none about. I honestly don’t believe that I just miss them because I do actively look for them; anyone got any ideas?   
5 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Anybody see Buzzards in the Dales?

the RSPB have a problem with any area where pheasent or grouse shooting goes on, there is a lot of illegal killing of "Birds of Prey", From Golden Eagles, Buzzards, Red Kites, Marsh Harrier and the worse persecuted is the Hen Harrier.
The Buzzard in recent years has spread all over England, we have about 20 breading in Essex
Two "GameKeepers" Ian and Ivan Crane of East Langon in Leistershire were found guilty in April and fined £1000 and £500, plus th older  was also fined £2000 and £80 costs for having Illegal Chemicals
They ran a Pheasant farm
nadger
Rising Star

@randpwar - most surprising that you didn't see any as they are reportedly the most common raptor.
Round here we see a lot of red kites as they've been successfully reintroduced into the Chilterns.
Needless to say we also have the Leighton Buzzard buzzards  Embarrassed
randpwar
Grafter

@ Pierre_Pierre Well I have to admit that I did wonder if they were being shot. Good point about the Grouse. My lad and I ‘yomped’ across the moor from Askrigg to Muker and must have disturbed hundreds, they sounded like they were laughing at us!
@nadger  I travelled down to Aylesbury a few times last winter and reckoned that Red Kites were about the most numerous bird I saw, let alone birds of prey! Beautiful creatures but it is Buzzards only near Warwick and (seemingly) none of either in the Dales.
I do hope that the reason isn’t that they are shot but I’m a little lost for another explanation
nadger
Rising Star

The red kites are definitely expanding their territory as it's not that long ago that they reached Aylesbury and are now nearly with us.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

try this population map from the BTO (British Trust for Onithology) - Buzzards
http://blx1.bto.org/bbs-results/results/bbsanim-110.html
every year from 1994 up to 2010  - interesting the spread  dont know what happened in 2001