cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody know what this is?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Anybody know what this is?

This is just inside the entrance to a farm off the A4146 Leighton Buzzard road a few miles north of Hemel Hempstead.
We pass this fairly regularly, I often wonder what it is so I took this photo yesterday morning unfortunately, I was causing a bit of a traffic snarl-up by doing so and had very little time to play with exposure values for the heavily back-lighted subject, so it has come out a bit dark. The main body is wooden slats, the dome is a green patina so is probably copper.
A couple of suggestions include:
Its part of another much more elaborate structure that was demolished and kept as a souvenir
The area centuries ago was a very popular hunting area, and this may be a device to hang game (deer etc) A similar "room" was shown in the Helen Mirren movie "The Queen".
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
50 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Anybody know what this is?

Looks like a weather station type thing to me..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

@adiewoo thanks for that, yes a possibility however what the photo doesn't convey well is the obvious great age of this thing, close up it is obviously very delapitated indeed, indeed it looks as if its falling apart. If it was actually weather (still in use) I would expect it to be in a rather better state than this. That doesn't mean of course that it might not have been as such in its past.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Bit of a long shot but is it the remnants of a windmill?
Community Veteran

Again artmo, a good guess. Its not a trick guys, I genuinely don't know what it is.
Is it yourself who lives nearby this? or have I mixed you up with someone else.

Community Veteran

No not me.  I live in snowy Essex.  I wonder if an OS map might give you a clue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Next time you drive that way, why not go in the drive way and up to the farm and ask?  I am sure they wouldn`t mind, and if they did, you will only get a "flea in the ear" !  (I hope ! !)...  Cheesy
bring up the google map for the area, and get the lat and long, then go to the library, or the planning office, and see if you can trace it that way... even the local history group may have some knowledge of its original use....
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

How about a dovecote?

community
Grafter

Looks like a telecommunications post, probably built around 470AD during the Roman occupation?
Community Veteran

i'd guess a belfry from a country house, late 1700s-early 1800s; i saw something very similar at an architectural salvage auction down in Sussex in the early '90s once (the 1990s i hasten to add)
hadden
Grafter

Quote from: paulh
i'd guess a belfry

I'd second that...-ish.
I've seen something similar nearby where the large wooden cupola from the local abattoir was removed during demolition to be re-erected in a garden of an architect.
On this one, you can make out the edges where it was joined onto the ridge of a roof.
Community Veteran

could be a folly.  no end of those were built by rich tits in the past.
Loombucket
Grafter

Nah - it's UK Aerospace's latest attempt at a moonshot.
Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

somehow doubled up
pierre_pierre
Grafter

had a good read last night, I think it is what is called a Lantern
Lantern  Crowning feature of a dome, much loved by Renaissance an Baroque architects.  Like a small round or polygonal box, it in turn is crowned by either  a miniature dome or spire, conceived in proportion to the main dome
 1600-1700