cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody else been sold FAKE goods?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Anybody else been sold FAKE goods?

I was rummaging through my stock drawer (!  Cheesy) and came across an 8GB Sdcard (full size). Now I remember this one, I bought it off ebay from China. When I got it it wouldn't hold more than 2Gb, you could put stuff on it, but not retrieve anything (not in the same state anyway).
Disk utls etc see it as an 8Gb disk, but it is really a 2Gb that has been faked.
I complained to ebay at the time and got a full refund on it, but the fact remains it was a FAKE.
So anybody else got a fake that they wern't expecting (i.e. not buying something off a market stall with a "label" on it knowing full well it was a knock off.)
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Anybody else been sold FAKE goods?

Depends on whether or not you consider windows to be a fake OS  Roll eyes  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Now don't start that old herring again.
This is about PHYSICAL goods, not vaporware  Grin
kdoug007
Grafter

DVDS  in  Bangkok Cheesy
Community Veteran

But you expected them to be ripoff's didn't you?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

A very nice Rolex watch from a market in Seoul - only problem is that you needed to replace the battery ever so often  Roll eyes
Not to mention some polo branded shirts (very good quality they were as well) and a North Face anorak (I don't think that was fake - just smuggled out of the back door of the factory as was also the case with a lot of Gortex products and brand name trainers)
Community Veteran

I had a "fake" Kingston 32GB SD card recently via eBay.
Seller refunded me and didn't want it back, just said it was presumably "faulty", but the branding/markings on it didn't look genuine.
Similar trickery on size, made to look like a 32GB card but only held about 2GB.
Also had a "fake" electric car door mirror, again via eBay, which was sold as a genuine manufacturers part.
It was actually from a cheap parts maker (not an unknown one, just one doing cheap "copies") and the electric mechanism did actually work acceptably.
I had problems fitting the outer colour-coded trim (moved across from the original) as the mouldings on the cheap mechanism were not accurate enough for the fitting lugs.
As I'd paid for an OEM part but got a poorer-quality one (with issues) I complained.
I expected the seller to offer a discount or a full refund on return, but they got all stroppy so I referred it to eBay who were very swift to refund me.
So I got a full refund and didn't have to send it back either. As it's not a safety-critical item I decided to see if I could use it.
After a bit more "bodging" I got it to fit and it's still on the car and working some years later.
CX
Grafter

I got some fake and extremely poor quality Nintendo Wii controllers from Play.com Marketplace. They weren't massively below the RRP, so I didn't suspect they would be knock-offs, but visibly they didn't even look correct, didn't come in proper packaging and the one I tried didn't even work properly. The seller argued the toss initially, then gave me the runaround for a month, before Play intervened and took their funds back off them. I stuffed the whole lot in the jiffy bag they came in and sent them back to the sender without any postage. I don't know whether they bothered to pick them up from their local post depot.
Another time, I got a fake Sandisk 2GB SD card from Amazon Marketplace. It had the correct stickers, correct packaging, but was not Sandisk. The seller refunded instantly and told me to just bin it because he bought a job lot of them from China and most of them are getting returned.
Oh, and some box set DVDs of The X-Files from eBay. These came in the proper packaging (albeit Chinese/English), the tops of the discs were printed properly, they were proper pressed discs (not DVD-R), but the number of read errors on the discs suggests that they were fake.
Community Veteran

Memory cards are a bit of a mine field. Not all Sandisk cards are made by Sandisk so it can sometimes be unclear whether a card is a "genuine" Sandisk or not.
Even helpful websites are not always helpful. Looking at the packaging etc on a Sony card, and comparing it to what was said on an "identify fake cards" site I was convinced mine was a fake. But when I took it to a Sony shop they had a look at it and said it was genuine.
And how fake is fake? One thing doing the rounds on ebay are "fake" Dell PC's. Overstocked older cases are often sold on by Dell. These are then usually filled with cheap components and sold as new/refurbished. If it doesn't have a Dell Service Tag number it isn't a genuine Dell.
Community Veteran

Wife bought some Paul Smith designer stuff off Ebay as a present for a colleauge - turned out to be fake
She bought replacement stuff from a UK website which turned out to be fake - the website was also pretty fake - goods were from China although the site was meant to be a UK site.
I bought a load of cables from various sellers on Amazon. Out of 6 orders from 6 seperate sellers, only one seller was selling genuine cables. The rest all sold me fake cheap cables - not even imitations of the originals. The moment I complained, I was told to keep them and got refunded.
Biggest purchase of fake goods I made was for a towel radiator. It was meant to be a well known brand but the manufacturer hadn't heard of it. It was damaged in transit anyway so I told them to take it back. They sent a replacement which was even more damaged so I refused delivery and told them to collect this one. Ended up keeping the radiator and getting a refund - I've just fitted it in the ensuite but dubious as to how long it will last. It's not *bad* but it isn't particuarly good.
5aDay

My ex-wife was a fake. Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

So where does fake end and pattern parts start? Pattern parts are generally not approved by a manufacturer of anything from cars to washing machines, but they are fitted by practically every independent garages (and some main dealers) in the country.
In fact when I was working for a large domestic appliance manufacturer, when a shortage of parts occurred pattern parts were fitted on the production line.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

In my eyes, fake is when a product is pretending to be something genuine when it isn't.
Pattern is something manufactured as a replacement for a genuine part but not sold as genuine.
Community Veteran

I agree with picbits.
Fake is where the item is sold as if it were a "real" item. Pattern parts are the same item but not sold as the original, but as a copy. If you were sold a "brand" pair of spec's but it wasn't sold as a "brand" then there wouldn't be an issue, but the issue is that the fake is sold as if it was an original and often at close the the same price.
kdoug007
Grafter

Quote from: 5aDay
My ex-wife was a fake. Shocked

your  ex  is  with me.  she  sends her  regar Cheesyds!