cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any washine machine mechanics out there?

Fixes: 125

Any washine machine mechanics out there?

We have a Hotpoint Aquarius 720 which has been going strong for over two and half years but recently SWMBO has complained that it sounds different - more noisy. To be honest I have got used to the noise it makes now and can't remember what it used to be but I found a video on You Tube that she said is very close to how it used to be.
I have no idea on the workings of washing machines but don't want to be conned into paying for something unnecessary be done so I have given two links to how ours sounds now in the hope that someone may be able to shed some light on the problem and what may be needed to remedy it.
Wash
Final Spin

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

34 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Any washine machine mechanics out there?

Whip the top off and make sure all weights and springs etc are still attached.
Also the dampers go on these after a few years and get a bit "sloppy" so things bounce around a lot more. I've just done the ones on ours after 7 years - made a load of difference and the machine no longer goes on a journey around the kitchen when it spins.
Check for play in the bearings by opening the door with nothing in it and move the lip of the drum up and down - if it moves independently of the rest of the innards then you may well have worn bearings.
hadden
Grafter

To me, it sounds like a bearing rumbling.
Here's an example for comparison.

Yes, the two do sound similar.
Checked out a video how to replace the bearings. Hmmmmmm, better call the professionals Wink
Hopefully the job can be done for under £100 Undecided

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Open the door, with the drum empty. try lifting the edge of the drum near the door opening. If there's a lot of clunky slack, your main bearings are shot, or the drum is loose on the mounting spider. More likely the bearings. Look underneath if you can, if there's a small wet rusty looking patch on the floor that will confirm the bearing failure.
Only you can decide if it is worth repairing. Personally, we had bearing failure on our Zanussi earlier this year. Repair was cheaper, but not by much so we decided to replace the machine.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

It cost £350 in November 2011 so isn't particularly old. I would have expected the bearings to last longer than that.
I'll make a few calls for estimates Tuesday afternoon.

robski1
Rising Star
Fixes: 4

It might be worth checking with Hotpoint. Our Aquarius has 5 year guarantee on parts but you have to pay for the labour.
If it has a welded outer drum you can't change the bearings, the whole assembly has to be replaced.
Good luck.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
It cost £350 in November 2011 so isn't particularly old. I would have expected the bearings to last longer than that.

I would follow robski1's advice and check the warranty. Parts shouldn't start failing after 3 years.
You also have the SOGA to protect your consumer rights (item should be fit for purpose/of satisfactory quality) for 6 years.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

have you had the motor brushes changed ?
its often a problem that sounds like a bad bearing but if the drum lift test doesn't show excessive movement chances are the brushes need replacing (normally very easy to do) but as there feeding the motor unevenly it causes a lot of noise and performance is often markedly poorer (washing is damper as its not spinning at full speed)
before you get quotes on doing the job make sure you price check the parts against your machine model and get quotes for both them supplying the parts and you giving them the parts, often they buy the part at retail price (espares or 4ourhouse are good places to look) and then charge you vat on top and pocket the extra.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In 16 years as an appliance service engineer I never heard motor brushes make anything like the noise that could equal that of shot drum bearings.
If the brushes are worn or broken (very unlikely) the motor won't run. A raised or broken commutator bar on the armature (that may break a pair of brushes) usually gives rise to a soft clicking at the same speed the motor is spinning at. But it won't do it for long, the motor will quickly fail.
An out of control motor because the electronic speed control is faulty will howl like a banshee with the wash tumble being done at full spin speed that will shake the machine violently, usually because it tries to spin when it should be tumbling from standstill with the wet washing on the bottom of the drum without the mid speed to distribute the washing evenly first so being violently out of balance. Fortunately this is quite rare as the speed control failure will usually stop the motor running altogether. But if you have ever had this happen you will never forget it, as the entire tub/drum assembly will try to burst its way out of the machine shell.
If you had one of the older type rotary program switches, an internal switch could fail that could produce "wrong" motor speeds as well.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

I have made some enquiries...
Hotpoint  will come out under the 5 year parts guarantee for a one-off cost of £109.99. This includes a measly 90 day guarantee. For £15.49 a month for 12 months they would cover parts and labour for any defect within the 12 months. When I said that that seems a bit steep he reduced it to £13.49. I still wouldn't bit at that! I have provisionally (they don't know that bit yet) booked a repair for Friday this week.
robski1is apparently correct in that the entire drum would need replacing.
A local repairman suggested that the cost of the drum would be around £150 and labour would take the cost to over £200.
I contacted Argos where I ordered it from and was told to get a local engineer to do an independent report on the machine and, if it is deemed to be a manufacturing fault (something that it's likely to be cast as with less than 400 washes in just over 2.5 years), they will reimburse the cost of the report and then pay for a repair or replacement if uneconomical to repair under the SoG Act.
I am now trying to get advice from a local repairman.
Edit: Just spoken to a local engineer and, having explained the situation, he was happy to write a report then and there and email it to me. That concerned me a tad so asked if he could attend and actually check the machine which he will do tomorrow afternoon. He did say that all he could do is turn the drum and assess the sound(s) made. His cost for this is £12.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

well £12 for a report and getting it fully covered by Argos is a far better price than forking out all that cash,
kind of makes you wonder what the manufacturer is playing at when they must know any machine of that age needing a new drum is down to faulty parts .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

A 5 year parts guarantee - but you have to pay for them to come out? That doesn't sound fair or reasonable.

But when you ring up (08448 number) they will try to sell you a more expensive Extended Warranty.
BTW, I used Saynoto0800 to get a geographical number to ring.

PowerLee
Rising Star

DON'T even think about the Hotpoint extended warranty, I've just checked & it's run by Domestic & General & after having previous dealings with them myself they are an absolute waste of time.
Bosch also use Domestic & General for there extended warranty coverage, I was without a washing machine for over a month as Domestic & General wanted to spend more in parts & labour repairing my failed machine then the actual replacement cost of the machine.
It wasn't till a Bosch engineer came out & made a report on the machine saying it was beyond economic repair that Domestic & General finally saw sense & just replaced it.
One of the reasons the machine was beyond economic repair was due to a previous repair visit by a Domestic & General engineer  Roll eyes