cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any strawberry growers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Any strawberry growers

Our strawberry crop, in a normal year, is ready to start harvesting at the start of the 2nd week of wimbledon.

This year  we've started harvesting 2nd week in June ( a month early), it is the same plants, no species change.

Can anyone offer an explanation? 

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Any strawberry growers

I don't grow them but the only explanation I could provide would be that of a mild winter and the recent hot weather we have had, as this is the only obvious change I can see for the earlier harvest.

Community Veteran

After a few weeks of "having" to eat strawberries and icecream twice a day my little patch has finished cropping. Just the odd ones here or there. I'm right down south so this now seems the usual time for me.

The raspberries have nearly finished as well, probably earlier than they used to years ago. But it does mean I get a few of the new sprays giving a bonus late crop.

alanf
Aspiring Pro

Community Veteran

@alanf thank you, that explains something.

@billnotben We're at over 1000ft in the midlands so the season tend to be a bit later, Our Raspberry harvest comes in Late September - early November  along with the Bilberry and Blue Berry.

RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Had a nice bowl of Clotted Cream with a few strawberries from the garden to go with it this afternoon.  Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I went out yesterday evening to have a look at my one perfect red strawberry that was just becoming ready for picking, and some force of nature had eaten half of it!! Looked like it was an avian invasion aswell as something slimy (no, not Teresa May, there are standing orders to shoot her on sight, with a hosepipe)...... Roll eyes

Community Veteran

If I didn't put netting over mine the Blackbirds and Starlings would eat the lot.

Funny this year nothing picked on the raspberries, never bothered with the usual few laid on patches of netting on them.

Usually it's Pigeons perched on top and Blackbirds jumping up underneath.