cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any solutions ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Any solutions ?

This warm weather is great but I seem to be getting bit more this year by flying insects than previous years.
Up to 10 years ago I never had a problem and is likely to be the result of prescribed medication.
Has anyone any ideas about how to avoid getting bitten ? Other than the obvious such as keeping fully clothed ?
Some Internet sites have suggested garlic or yeast tablets but they don't seem to work
I know there are a range of things you can do after being bitten but prevention is better than cure.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Any solutions ?

Thunderclap
Grafter

You can always try Lavender oil which works a lot of the time.
Maybe also try and fry the little link:censored with a UV insect zapper?
adie:red avoidance of swear filter removed.]
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Try some Welder's gauntlets plus one of these beauties (Coveralls).
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Have you tried eating Marmite ?
I eat Marmite, travel abroad a lot, especially to the Far East, and Florida, and rarely get bitten.
Flying Insects apparently don't like the smell of Marmite given  off by the Body.
My partner, who doesn't like Marmite, gets bitten a lot, even with using Insect Repellent Sprays.
But Marmite doesn't work for everyone, and apparently doesn't repel mosquitos.
It may be an old wives tale, due to a combination of Quinine & Marmite given to patients but it works for me !
"The root of this belief might have been its use during the 1934–5 Malaria Epidemic in Sri Lanka:
“ The two things given to each patient were a bottle of the standard quinine mixture and Marmite rolled into the form of vederala's pills.
The latter was said to have been the idea of the late Dr. Mary Ratnam and to have been more effective than the quinine itself, such was the degree of starvation among the peasantry.
The Suriya Mal workers were amazed to see how this little Marmite revived them and put some life back into them. ” "

One trip I forgot my small jar of Marmite, and got bitten a lot.....

Indoors, we use Bug / Fly screens on open Windows and Doors to keep the little pests out, bugs too !!
nanotm
Pro

eat plenty of garlic and onions they don't like the smell as your body sweats them out readily, I always used to chew garlic grass when out an about as a youngster and I never got eaten alive on the river bank unlike several of my friends who thought I was mad Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Thanks for the tips, I heard of the Marmite one before but forgot about it, fortunately I like the stuff so will give it a try.
Onions and garlic might work they will certainly keep SWMBO away but not far enough for all the earache I will get about the smell.
I think lemon sprays are used in some countries but no idea of how effective they are.
I want to keep away from stuff like deet and jungle gel
Community Veteran

In Scotland there's one well-known effective solution for midges etc. - Avon Skin-So-Soft. Widely available online if your local pharmacy doesn't stock it.
Community Veteran

Try vitamin B. It's commonly used by the locals in Florida and works well for me Smiley
Community Veteran

I Have a feeling that Marmite is high in vitamin B
nanotm
Pro

citronella candles are also useful in deterring biting insects from the home, we have some on the go most days with this weather but I still put small amount's of garlic in the food so were covered when out an about, not enough that its perceptible to human nasal senses but it still works, if you don't want to use actual garlic than a dash of garlic salt in the cooking works a treat (just don't add normal salt as well) if your not on a salt free diet that is
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: PlusComUK
Have you tried eating Marmite ?
I eat Marmite, travel abroad a lot, especially to the Far East, and Florida, and rarely get bitten.

Quote from: gleneagles
I Have a feeling that Marmite is high in vitamin B

Yes it is..

And there is more salt in a slice of Bread than there is in a serving of Marmite, in general.
http://www.actiononsalt.org.uk/less/surveys/2011/bread/53871.html
Someone who loves Marmite too...