cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any posties here?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Any posties here?

I'm just wondering what the deal is with Royal Mail and parcel deliveries. How is it that whenever you send (or rather someone sends you) a parcel via 1st class, it always takes a few days longer than a letter?
How does that work? The letters go in a van / lorry and so do the parcels right? So what is the hold up?
I'm expecting one today but at 14:30 there is no way royal mail are going to turn up with it now yet it was posted on Tuesday. I can't help but wonder if 1st class parcels really means "when we can be bothered or get the chance" ? If thats the case, how come the delay doesn't grow exponentially?
I'd appreciate an insight into the world of the parcel postie, I'm very curious as to how the parcel side of it works.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Any posties here?

Is it Royal Mail or ParcelForce
Community Veteran

Sent first class so royal mail. I rarely use parcel farce..
Community Veteran

Around here The same Royal Mail postie deliver Mail, Signed For stuff and (RM) Parcels, but at different times!  Undecided
Parcel force? I have no idea.  Huh
[EDIT] Postie not posties
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Our postie delivers parcels that he can carry in his bag yes but anything larger they always deliver by van using a seperate postie. Letter postie has already been today hence the mild frustration (especially after a bad dream where the parcel went missing  Roll eyes). We don't usually suffer any mail loss in this area but the delays always wind me up when its a large parcel as it means I can't go out or do anything as Royal Mail keep moving the goalposts.
I had one five or six years ago get delayed by them on purpose for two weeks. Their excuse was that it had no postage stamps so they delayed it intentionally and incurred me a £1 service charge (plus the postage). I wasn't rude but when I produced a printed copy of the receipt for the postage that the sender emailed me he had no hope in hell of getting a penny out of me nor a thanks for the intentional delay. It didn't seem to occur to them that a parcel couldn't get into the mail room without being accepted by the post office  Roll eyes
As for private couriers... don't get me started on them. I ordered a car part last year and it was a next day am delivery. The couriers worked between 6am - 6pm and at 6pm it hadn't arrived so we decided to go out as it wasn't going to turn up. Got in the car and the bar steward turned up at 6:07  Roll eyes My car work couldn't happen at that point as the light was dimming and it delayed me by several days.
Community Veteran

They can't seem to make up their mind how to deliver some parcels.
One thing I buy repeatedly (small parcel) is usually delivered by hand but sometimes for some reason it gets delivered by van.
When it's by hand it's often next day. By van always takes longer never next day. Parcels all first class.
Fixes: 47

It takes them longer to get parcels through these sorting machines....

But to look at the state of some parcels it was more of a struggle than usual.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
Is it Royal Mail or ParcelForce

Me and my big mouth... guess what just turned up via parcel force?
Community Veteran

A parcel?
Do I win a prize?
It is surprising how late mail is delivered nowadays.
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
A parcel?

Yes!
Quote from: billnotben
Do I win a prize?

No! Well not unless you count the knowledge of being right as a prize Wink
gswindale
Grafter

Can anybody explain why we don't tend to get our post until 3pm?
Weekends seem the worst; when I thought we'd get it earlier as they've got less deliveries to do (no going to many business addresses!)
The only thing I can think of is somehow they've reintroduced "second deliveries" and all our post gets into that as I often see a postie nearby at 8am on my way to work!
Community Veteran

Does it really make any difference what time of day the post arrives?
We have a very good service but it can be as early as 9am or as late as 2pm.  It depends on the way the postman does his round.
gswindale
Grafter

At the weekends YES!
If we've ordered something that is being delivered by Royal Mail that may/may not fit through the letterbox; it would be nice to know if we can go out in the morning if we need to without worrying that the postie will arrive and take away our delivery.
The only bonus is now they have late night opening at the sorting office on a Wednesday which tends to see a somewhat non-existent queue unlike Saturday mornings!
Also; when expecting stuff from insurance companies if I'm at home; it helps if the post comes earlier as then I've got more time to kill trying to chase things up if I need to.
Community Veteran

No idea why they've got later, I would however imagine that in the days when they used to be done by 9am, they probably started at silly hours and got paid a better rate? RM like everyone else have probably been under a big squeeze so done away with that and brough the postie hours into the day.
Ours typically comes around 11:30 however we're in a very large estate that takes them all morning to get around plus an hour or two in the afternoon. Yesterday I missed him when he attempted delivery of a parcel as I was at the doctors. I got back and found the card and went up the road to find him. As I know the our regular postie quite well (lives nearby too so I frequently say hello when he's walking his dog) he was more than happy to give me the parcel from the van (in exchange for the red card) rather than making us wait 24 hours before collecting from the depot.
I must admit.though it is a pain when you're expecting a parcel though. Ok we're relatively lucky as I can look for him within certain hours but in other areas we've lived we've missed numerous parcels (fridays are the worst) and ended up waiting until Monday to get to the sorting office for collection. Thats a major pain especially when its one of those parcels you're really eager to get your hands on!
Fixes: 125

Quote from: artmo
Does it really make any difference what time of day the post arrives?

I think yes - but, partially, because it's what we knew years ago.
2 deliveries a day first usually before 07:30 and the 2nd before 11:00
Up until around a month ago our post was getting later in the day and was arriving after 1 or even 2 pm. Then it changed and we now get it by about 10:00 and, occasionally, by 09:00 Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still