cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any owners of Ford Focus (1st Model) have a sat nav?

shalom2010
Grafter

Any owners of Ford Focus (1st Model) have a sat nav?

Hi
I've been considering purchasing a sat nav for my old 2003 Focus, however I'm concerned by two issues:
1) Do they work okay with a heated windscreen?
2) Where do you put the sat nav?  (The dashboard is quite big, but I would prefer it to be somewhere else, only interested in voice navigation to get me where I'm going). Would it work just laying on the passenger seat, as an example?
I was looking at this: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_97...
I'd appreciate serious comments only (I do not own a smartphone, before anyone suggests this!)
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Any owners of Ford Focus (1st Model) have a sat nav?

Can't speak for the focus but I can for a renault which also had a heated screen (on licence from ford). Sat nav never had a problem once.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Irrelevant. Removed.  Cool
Community Veteran

Navigate to Amazon and see their range.  I bought a Garmin from them and very pleased with it.
I use mine only for voice navigation which you want to do.  Mine works fine on the passenger seat with no problems.
shalom2010
Grafter

Thanks. Would a sat nav work laying on the passenger's seat just giving out voice directions or would the signal be too weak?
shalom2010
Grafter

@artmo...thanks, that helps. I like the TomTom that I mentioned as it has lifetime map updates, but would that matter?
Community Veteran

shalom2010
Grafter

Is the aerial the lead that hooks up to the power outlet?
Community Veteran

shalom2010
Grafter

@HPsauce - Mmmm thanks for the helpful reply....not
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I use a Garmin Montana as Sat Nav, Camera and GPS, with the car kit it 'sticks' to the facia, the camera geo-positions the photographs.
Only problem is I often forget to switch from "Hike" to "auto", then navigate to a post code and find I'm trying to drive along a footpath.
nadger
Rising Star

Don't use sat nav much but Navfree app on smart phone works well and, as it says, is free. One installs maps so no need for data connection.
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I had a Ford Focus Mk1, 2001 model. I purchased a Tom Tom which had good reviews and I didn't have any interference issues although I had read reports that some people had with other makes. Tom Tom proved reliable and had free updates and was reported to have most accurate maps at the time, although that was about 5 years ago and things have probably changed. I just positioned mine low down, centre screen with no problems.
mossgrove
Grafter

I have a Mondeo with the heated front screen.  For Sat Nav mounting I bought a device from Halfords (I can't remember the name) - it is a neoprene cross about two inches across with a magnet in the middle, which clamps onto your dashboard air vent.  They supply a metal button which sticks on to the rear of the sat nav.  Provides a very stable mounting just below your normal eyeline.  No problems with signal at all.