Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any old Freeservers out there ???

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Any old Freeservers out there ???

As the title says - any old Freeservers out there?...
Now lots of us started off with a 56k modem for our internet access - me I started off with a 28.8 - that shows you how ancient I am !!!
My first ISP was Freeserve and they were ok.  They had a site called Freeserve Auctions which of course disappeared years ago... I seem to remember Freeserve were bought out by Wanadoo who in turn were bought out by Orange, I think they are now trading under the EE banner.
Now my first email address was a Freeserve one which I used on a payasyougo basis, like my surfing really...  When I changed ISP's I thought it less trouble to keep my old Freeserve address.  The drill has been that every few months it's been necessary to use dial up to connect to Freeserve - or whatever they're called nowadays - and spend a few minutes - and a few pennies - then disconnect and forget about them for a few more months.  Their dial up number is - or at least was - 08440564000 - the last time I connected some months ago.  Trying to connect to them this morning I don't get a dial tone and after looking on the net I find I'm not the only one having similar problems.
SO, my question is - anyone on here still using a Freeserve email address?
If a moderator wishes to move this pse feel free to do so - I couldn't really decide where to post...
25 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Any old Freeservers out there ???

Mod Note
Moved here for now and see how it develops.
It's a long time since I used Freeserve.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

i think i was with freeserve in 2000 ish did they get taken over by orange ? if so then yes i once used them too im almost sure they were partly run my the french .. i think
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Fixes: 47

Quote from: St3
partly run my the french .. i think

Wanadoo.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

ahh i thought so  Wink
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

Quote from: PNnewbie
As the title says - any old Freeservers out there?...

A couple of PN staffers used to work for their tech support helpdesk back in the day (myself included).
Quote from: PNnewbie
Trying to connect to them this morning I don't get a dial tone and after looking on the net I find I'm not the only one having similar problems.

AFAIK Freeserve dial-up services were shut down about a year ago.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I was on them many moons ago, I started even earlier than you with a 300/1200-75baud modem, and bbs's. Then ran a dial up bbs in the late 80's early 90's.
Got the £10 (?) for a year from comet/curries when I had a 56K modem, then moved to ISDN (cost a fortune!)
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Thanks everyone for the replies...
Bob P - as you say their ops have obviously been wound down.
I'm just a bit concerned that someone somewhere will have a spring clean and close all the Freeserve email addresses down - including mine.  I've been using that address for ~10 years or more.  I can understand them doing it as there's really not much in it for them...
I seem to remember one had to connect at least once every 219 days (why 219 days I wonder?) to keep the account alive after which you were skating on thin ice.  They used to send out reminders and I once spoke to customer support at Freeserve who 'turned the clock back' for me and gave me another 219 days!  Normally I'd just connect and spend 20 minutes surfing then forget about it for a few months.
I don't suppose there's a way of getting 'round the problem?  I really dread to think what I would do if suddenly I can't connect...( the kids always said I lead a very sad life!!!)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 26

I still have an Fsnet email address, but have not had a dial up device for years, instead every now and then I log on to the Orange member centre and restore my email. Here
That said, they don't seem to have closed my email for quite a while.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Thanks for that Mustrum.
I can log in on the EE website and access my personal details, DoB etc so my account is still current - well I know thanyway as I get emails regularly - but when I select Restore Account I get:-
"Error An unexpected error has occurred"
When did you last restore your a/c?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 26

I can't remember, it was well over a year ago, probably much longer. Maybe the error comes up as your account is still active?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I used to use freeserve, but later moved to Virgin internet (same PAYG setup, 0845 number), and then ultimately ditched dialup and went to NTL (before the whole VirginMedia cable monopoly began), I think y old fsnet address is long dead, can't even remember it now!!! Grin
As for modems, depended on which computer I was using, sometimes a 56k V.92, sometimes a 14.4k, sometimes via my tethered mobile, and at one point via a Nokia CardPhone II (a CardBus mobile phone that you slotted into the side of a laptop or the back of a suitably equipped PDA), it was great... Grin
But as mobile networks improved, and broadband became more affordable, dialup lost it's charm, so, it's history for me now, even though there are parts of the country with zero broadband availability and they have to suffer the slowness of dialup this far into the 21st century, which is pretty pathetic considering all the money piled into the various ISPs and into BT Openreach as a result...
Community Veteran

I was with freeserve in 2000 when I started using ADSL, was the first person in my city to have ADSL installed.
To give you an idea what those days were like pre openreach, I had a fault sunday modem wouldnt sync, rang up around midday, engineer was assigned same day and fixed by 6pm.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Mustrum - "Maybe the error comes up as your account is still active? "
Perhaps that's the reason - hope so.  I go for months never thinking about this then suddenly when I do I become quite paranoid about it all!  Think I'll just have to forget about it, maybe all the old accounts are on an old server somewhere in a basement some place and they may have lost the key and won't be able to get at them - hopefully!
twocvbloke - "sometimes a 14.4k" crikey - you must be even older than me !!!  Cheesy
Thanks guys.
Community Veteran

my first line was in october1990 with a 28k dedicated line running at £65 per month into a vt terminal, green text onto a black screen, freeserve was quite recent