Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any medical people here?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Any medical people here?

Just wanted to ask a question.
Whats a safe number of x-rays for someone to have in a series of a few weeks?
Thanks
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
20 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Any medical people here?

I had about 30 in the space of an hour once.
Community Veteran

Shocked
Are you serious? - You mean proper x-rays not MRI ?
James
Grafter

I got hit by a car.
I had loads on all areas of my spine and neck.
Was a fun day Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: James
I got hit by a car.

Strewth! That must of hurt - sorry to hear about that - I'm glad you're ok!
Community Veteran

Different types of X-Rays give you differing amounts of radiation.
A normal X-Ray gives you the same amount of natural radiation you would get from 3-4 days of normal environment radiation. Head and chest X-rays are slightly higher I think.
CT scans give you a significantly higher amount of radiation - equivalent to several years of background or natural radiation.
There is nothing to worry about unless you are a pregnant female, but the radiographer would talk to you about that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Impossible question to answer as there are a number of factors involved such as the strength and duration of the x-rays.
The effects will also differ with each person and whilst there is considerable literature on the topic of exposure to x-rays I doubt there is a specific answer relating to x-rays the ordinary person is subject to in Hospital environments.
You will recall years ago that many shoe shops had x-ray machines which were not subject to the stringent rules regarding x-rays used in hospitals today yet I have never heard of a single case of anyone having problems due to using these machines yet as kids we were often nipping in these shops to look at the bones in out feet before getting chased out by staff.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyH
CT scans give you a significantly higher amount of radiation - equivalent to several years of background or natural radiation.

And thats what I'm worried about. Along with 4 normal x-rays within 4 weeks, I also had 2 CT scans within one week.
Maybe I'm just getting paranoid but I don't see that being a good thing
Razer
Grafter

It's only natural to worry, Sprite. I was somewhat freaked by the amount of x-rays I had to undergo with my last op. I also remember feeling somewhat angry at the cavalier attitude of the staff in sending me for another blast or three every bloody day - post op, as though they couldn't give a toss how much you were exposed. I'm quite sure they'd have sent me for many, many more had I not discharged myself. Now, well, I couldn't care less. Cheesy In fact, I can't even remember how many I had.
nadger
Rising Star

I've got 3 CT scans booked at Stoke Mandeville on 5th July.
CT urogram, CT chest, abdomen and pelvis with contrast and CT aortagram.
Had same last July and in for about 30 mins.
Had numerous x-rays whilst they repaired aorta (EVAR) three years ago.
One radiographer did say I'd start to glow in the dark  Wink
Community Veteran

The radiologists will be aware of any problems associated with over exposure. It is something they deal with regularly.  If there is any doubt then a consultant will make a judgement call.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Had numerous x-rays whilst they repaired aorta (EVAR) three years ago.

Isn't that the heart valve thing that can explode and kill you? - I didn't realise they could do pre-emptive surgery on it?!
nadger
Rising Star

Aorta is main artery. that carries blood to lower body. Mine had ballooned and one inch diameter had become two and half inches.
If it bursts it's death in seconds. EVAR is risky but ten percent better than hundred percent.
Over 8 hours in theatre under epidural so wide awake and could hear problems they were having with leakage and thrombosis.
Community Veteran

8 hours awake? Why did they not put you under? - I couldn't have that sort of op and be awake. When I was in hospital in HDU I had to get them to turn off the heart monitor sounds as just hearing my pulse would make it speed up uncomfortably. Hearing other peoples does nothing to me but if its mine it just does something weird that stresses me out and then thats it.. off it goes lol.
nadger
Rising Star

Safer under epidural than general anesthetic.
Op was risky enough without making it more dangerous. Many people die under general anesthetic.
All you feel is being pulled about.