cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any inventors out there?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Any inventors out there?

Serious question...has anyone on here invented something and seen it come to fruition?
I have a concept, which i am going to make up a working prototype in my shed.  I have done an internet search and found nothing even resembling this item.  I have asked trusted friends who work in this trade and others in the target market, and they all without exception say they would buy one for themselves and more for family friends.
I'm wondering if anyone has gone through this, what the pitfalls are, did they get financial sponsorship, and did they go into production or licensing?
With such an eclectic group on here, I was hoping someone could give their views.
Thanks guys.
18 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Any inventors out there?

Need to check for patents as large companies patent ideas all the time.
Community Veteran

That's a good idea. Will look into that. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

And get YOUR idea "registered"....
itsme
Grafter

Catch 22. If the idea is unique then registering well give the competition the opportunity to come up a different method to achieve the same thing. You will also find that companies patent new ideas making sure that the company name is not mentioned in the application for a similar reason as this will tip the competition.
Community Veteran

Well, looked on Espacenet - totally confusing. Shocked
Been on intellectual property office. Even more confusing.. Roll eyes
Will have to do a lot more research. Smiley
( When's the next series of Dragon's den?)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Even if you do manage to register the idea, the chinese will still copy it and start flogging it anywhere they can  Roll eyes
But seriously, good luck, whatever it is, let us know how it goes - and what it is once it goes on sale! I'm curious!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

http://ipod.about.com/od/understandingipodmodels/a/invented-ipod.htm
The above is an example of a typical patent being registered years before technology is available to achieve it. In this case the patentee could not afford to keep in place.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Point your mouse in the direction of Kickstarter and see how other newbies are getting new stuff into the big world.
https://www.kickstarter.com
For technology > https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/technology?ref=category
Good luck.
WTF
Grafter

As far as I know, the only way to 'register' an idea is to start proceedings to register a patent.  Note that these proceedings can take years and - if done with proper legal advice - will cost thousands, possibly tens of thousands.  You'd also need to check which jurisdictions have agreements that respect UK patents to identify other countries where you'd need to get separate patents.
The problem is, unless your idea cannot easily be reverse engineered - like the recipe for Coca-Cola or KFC - then patents are the only protection available, however imperfect and short lived (20 years) they may be.
A famous example of where a company failed to get a patent and suffered for it is Wilkinson's Sword who developed the first safety razor but decided they couldn't afford to patent it.  Instead, Gillette did .. and subsequently forced Wilkinson's to license the technology from them.  Now, Gillette own the Wilkinson's Sword brand everywhere outside the UK and use it for low-end products.
itsme
Grafter

Prior Art, a company can't patent something that's already in the marketplace or is documented before a patent is lodge. What normally happen is a tweak to the design done and it's the tweak that's patented
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Out of interest is it something brand new or is it something that already exists but you have found a better way of doing it ?
Community Veteran

Brand new. Done internet searches under different headings, both obvious and obscure. Nothing like it on the market.
Community Veteran

Bit of trawling and found registering design, which automatically gives copyright.  Lot more reading to do, but costs don't seem too exorbitant.
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/design/d-applying/d-apply/d-cost.htm
Next is working prototypes, then drawings etc and see how it goes. If, and I say if, it is unique and of any use and saleable, I will go the saleable route,I don't want to be involved in manufacture. Angry
Fixes: 125

I'm very intrigued and wish you luck with this venture.
Look forward to when you can reveal all Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still