cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any guitarists out there?

geewizz
Grafter

Any guitarists out there?

Can I borrow a G string please? Mine appears to have snapped after some excessive strumming.
76 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Any guitarists out there?

What where you strumming, "air on a G String"?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no silly it was "The Lost Chord",  I have got a replacement bit it is Wire, does that cut any thing with you?
Fixes: 47

Aren't there any cats in your neighbourhood.......then again it may not work as you didn't say what type of guitar you have.
Or you could use the one in your Forum name and become wizz..... Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My 12 string guitar also has a broken G string (the high octave one) my excuse is that it is an over stretched 1st E string, and as such is very fragile and won't take a lot of "hammering"
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

That is actually a contemporary instrumental technique on bowed string instruments - changing the tuning of one or more strings to put the instrument in to a different key or make unusual sounds/timbres.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

If GeeWizz gets his replacement "G String" and you tighten it up will it go up by one or more octaves? Tongue Roll eyes Roll eyes

I tipped of strat, but a good program on last night to repeated on BBC4 Friday
Real god show - four episodes, BBC1 Mondays,  BBC4 Fridays  lots of different and strange instruments
DOCUMENTARY: The Story of the Guitar
On: BBC 4 (9)   
Date: Friday 10th October 2008 (starting in 4 days)
Time: 23:00 to 00:00 (1 hour long)
In The Beginning. Series 1, episode 1.
Alan Yentob embarks on a three-part personal journey to discover how the guitar became the world's favourite musical instrument. Beginning with the rise of the acoustic guitar, the series takes him from an ancient Middle Eastern ancestor of the lute, to the iconic guitars draped round the necks of Bill Hailey and Elvis Presley and beyond. Featuring interviews with Bert Weedon, Pete Townshend, Bill Bailey, flamenco player Paco Pena and classical guitarist John Williams.
(Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marked By: 'Reminder: The Story of the Guitar' marker
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Be3G
That is actually a contemporary instrumental technique on bowed string instruments - changing the tuning of one or more strings to put the instrument in to a different key or make unusual sounds/timbres.

Drop tuning, I sometimes drop tune my Flying V to D... Hardcore tuning is best.
Community Veteran

@ pierre, yes it was a good "prog" fascinating history, rather spoiled  by Pete Townsend F'ing and blinding, rather unnecessary. Goes electric next episode.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

I've played quite a few of these and been annoyed at having to retune:
http://www.guitar.ch/en/info/tunings/tunings_rare.html
Smiley
craigyoung
Grafter

Isn't there the robot guitar from Gibson now - for people who don't know how to tune?  One step away from having a drum pattern built into it...
I always have at least one guitar tuned to open E for slide. Wish I was bit better at it though...
Fixes: 47

This thread is a big problem for me as it's building a very good case for another guitar purchase for alternative tuning and I can't afford it at the moment Angry
Maybe the Strat with the Roland gizmo Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: craigyoung
Isn't there the robot guitar from Gibson now - for people who don't know how to tune?   One step away from having a drum pattern built into it...

My guitarist uses a tuning meter and it drives me up the wall because it's so inaccurate. He swears by it and I swear at it. He bought it to save me having to tune his guitar for him all the time. Now it takes even longer because he spends 5 minutes trying to tune it with this infernal meter and then has to hand it to somebody else to tune it properly.
I would be wary of this robot guitar but I'll reserve judgement until I've heard it for myself.
Community Veteran

@geewizz, probably not the tuner that's inaccurate, if it a guitar that has a sprung tremolo, it could be that. as 1 string is tuned this causes tension changes on the trem spring(s) when the next string is tuned it will alter the tuning of the previous string, and so it goes on until eventually the guitar is in tune and up to concert pitch, until the first use of the trem arm throws the whole shooting match out of tune again.
This is very noticeable with Strat type guitars that use up to 5 springs, but modern approach is towards using 2 or 3 springs (for lightness of use) but it can make tuning very difficult indeed, using 4 or 5 springs is much more stable tuning wise, but also heavier in use. two ways around this are to lock the tremolo unit out of use (sometimes called "hard tail" Fender do supply guitars like this) or invest in a "Wilkinson" type locking system, with a locking nut and trem unit and, locking machine heads, these are very tuning stable but a pain if a string is broken.
But its not likely to be the tuning meter at fault.