Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any former Sky Fibre Customers?

SWebster
Grafter

Any former Sky Fibre Customers?

Hi,
I was just wondering if you were with Sky and switched to Plusnet, what your reasons for doing so were?
Thanks
5 REPLIES
Preacherlady
Grafter

Re: Any former Sky Fibre Customers?

I was originally with Plusnet but some years ago changed over to Sky when Decided to make use of dish on outside of house, so I changed over broadband, line and started with the TV.  I eventually changed to fibre.  All went well until last Summer when kept getting the connection dropping and Sky kept telling me it was a fault with my master socket.... but they sent me a new router/hub anyhow and that was better but not good.  Plus net had a good offer available and as I use TopCashback thought would change over and save some money.  Saving money was a major factor!
The changeover had a few problems but am now with Plusnet and find it fine.
Have since then bought a TV with freestat built in so have also stopped paying Sky for TV thus saving more money!  It also has built in wifi and am finding streaming films/iplayer very good.  That was iffy at times with Sky fibre as speeds varied a lot.
Preacherlady
Grafter

The original poster made no further reply but anyhow, am annoyed as Sky owed me some money and have found that I actually had Ask for a refund instead of getting it automatically!
shylok
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

In 2014 Sky put their prices up for line rental to £16.99 (£1.50 increase) plus £20 for Unlimited Fibre out of contract, so id save £5 with Plusnet with their equivalent package & get £100 for switching via cashback, on top of that i got fed up with them blocking websites, some of it directed by court orders like torrent sites & other times it was of their own doing by applying their adult filters when not wanted.
They're support forums were useless & via the phone you had to jump through some hoops just to get to somebody who wasn't reading a script, ie, 2nd line tech support (it goes first to CS then 1st line tech then finally to 2nd line tech). The other issue was them locking their routers down which i did get round by obtaining my account / password via wireshark & applying custom Merlin or DRWT firmware to my router however when it comes to upgrading the router you will find a limited choice as not all routers are compatible.
Plusnet were good value & were not big enough to be targeted by EU court orders, i did look at small niche so called 'unfiltered' ISPs like Andrew & Arnold but they were way too expensive & subjected to restrictive download caps, so here i am.
My only complaint with PN is their now capping of the Upload to 2mbps on their 40mbps package, although it does not affect me as i signed before the change, however come the time when im out of contract & would like to renegotiate a deal in return to go back into contract i have concerns that they will trick you & cap the upload without saying or tell you & do it anyway, i will certainly stress this then when the time comes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: shylok
Plusnet were good value & were not big enough to be targeted by EU court orders, i did look at small niche so called 'unfiltered' ISPs like Andrew & Arnold but they were way too expensive & subjected to restrictive download caps, so here i am.

except that now they do block sites due to court orders, but they blame their "suppliers" for the block as plusnet themselves don't have a court order applying the block.
it can be random depending on the gateway you are on though.
shylok
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You mean via BT controlling the backhaul? yes i think i recall some torrent sites not being accessible, especially after refreshing or going back on the website again