Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any budding astronomers?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Any budding astronomers?

Why not cover it with the blanket outside in the garden, or something waterproof. It would save a lot of setting up each time.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Fixes: 414

I think that's what I'm going to steer her into doing.
As yet, we haven't got round to setting it up properly. Hopefully in the next couple of days...

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

Why not use a remote control motor to steer the telescope plus a camera feed into the conservatory.
You could stay nice warm then.  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

The international Space Station will be ( approximately) overhead the M4 from Bristol to London between ( about ) 22:14 and 22:16 tonight... should be nice and bright.... for more accurate guesstimate of time and where to view, see this page
http://iss.astroviewer.net/observation.php
The default location is New York city... so you need to drag the map across the atlantic to the UK... and place the  + over your own approx location, (check the Lat and Long if you know it) then in the listing below, click on the second line of the list to reveal the track over the UK and your position...
Good luck with cloudless sky ! ! ..
Wink
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Whilst waiting for the above to happen, you might like to watch a bit of TV......
BBC4 at 21:00
Seven Ages of Starlight
Leading scientists including solar physicist Dr Helen Mason and astronomer Dr Francisco Diego explain the story of the stars,
You will need to set your alarm for the ISS pass as this program ends at 22:30 ! ! ! 
Highlighted

Thanks for the heads up shutter. Recording it as I type to watch with SWMBO later.
I see the Sky At Night was on last night - didn't realise it was on BBC4 Huh

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Did you see the ISS Mav?  I did... good pass overhead.. Bright and clear... moved pretty fast... also heard it on my VHF receiver....
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Mav, Forgot it was on, if you're not already watching it: BBC 4 now, The seven ages of starlight.
May get it on iPlayer

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted

@shutter - No, didn't see it. Too much course work to catch up on Sad
@Petlew - Am recording it but SWMBO is watching it. Shutter gave me the heads up on the previous page Smiley

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Well done shutter. Its on again Wednesday 12:30am my recorder is set this time.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

@shutter -
Thanks for the reminder of the ISS.
I did wonder if I would be able to spot it, as I can see more than twenty or thirty planes in the sky at any one time, and didn't know what to expect.
Looking at the ISS website, and using "Google Earth", I worked out where in the sky it should appear and disappear - which can be tricky when surrounded by trees.  But right on time, a very bright object appeared and tracked, as predicted, right over me until it went over the horizon.
As a bonus, I got to also see the first streaks of the Perseids Meteor Shower, due to be a spectacular display later tonight.
Thanks again  Smiley
Plusnet FTTC 80/20 IPv4/30, Hurricane Electric 6in4 IPv6/48, Pulse8 landline & calls, SamKnows 600N
Vigor 130 modem, pfSense 2.4.5-p1 router, 5 WAPs, Devolo dLAN 500, Gigaset N300A-IP VoIP DECT
Highlighted
Community Veteran

what sort of time are the meteor showers due? and whereabouts? North South East or West sky area?
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

North east.
http://www.space.com/22329-perseid-meteor-shower-webcasts-weekend.html
Plusnet FTTC 80/20 IPv4/30, Hurricane Electric 6in4 IPv6/48, Pulse8 landline & calls, SamKnows 600N
Vigor 130 modem, pfSense 2.4.5-p1 router, 5 WAPs, Devolo dLAN 500, Gigaset N300A-IP VoIP DECT
Highlighted
Community Veteran

There is another pass of the ISS tonight at 23:49  for two minutes... tracking from west to east just below Ireland and disappearing from view as it approaches overhead of Cornwall... ( hence the short view time)...
Next passes are 12th at 21:24 for six minutes ... same track as tonight at 22:12....
Next pass   on 12th... at 23:00 for 3 mins 45 secs... tracking from southern Ireland across the southern part of uk.. Bristol to Portsmouth, disappearing as it passes over the coast of France....
Next pass   on 13th   at 22:12 for 5 mins 19 secs... tracking from Southern Ireland overhead Bristol to Dover and disappearing over the border of Czech and Germany...
Further passes can be found on ....  http://iss.astroviewer.net/observation.php
All the above passes are at "max brightness" providing the sky is reasonably clear.... and should look like a very bright moving star...
Here is a pic of "The Plough" and the North Star... I took earlier on a 60 second exposure... the lines across it are my wire aerial and a telephone line..!..
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The Perseids, anytime after midnight forecast 1 a minute (about NE at an azimuth and altitude of 60 degrees, between midnight and 01:00.).
(Recommend a garden lounger, a blanket and a hot toddy)