Did you mean: 

Any budding astronomers?

Highlighted
Fixes: 458

Re: Any budding astronomers?

Quote from: journeys
@strat- nice picture ;), when was it taken,
I'd guess sometime in March at dusk

You're good Smiley 4th March 2011 17:40 hrs.
It looks better now I've removed the sodium light glare.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

How do you remove sodium light glare?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

shotgun Roll_eyes
There is some good educational stuff   here mainly video (not on removing sodium light glare) Embarrassed
dick:quote
Highlighted

Photoshop is your friend. Smiley

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

I thought you were going to reveal the colour spectrum of sodium vapour lamps or something...  Sad

Highlighted

If you insist....

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

That's what I thought - you can't just select a RGB value.  Cheesy
Why is yellow not the dominant colour?

Highlighted
Grafter

Nice spectra there!
Low pressure Sodium gives an orange-ish peak which can be filtered out at the scope end using a 'sodium filter'. However, high pressure sodium lamps which are being installed on our streets, produce a broad and messy spectra - including green and UV peaks. Almost impossible to filter out. There is hope for astronomers though, as many councils are now turning off street lights after midnight because fat cat executive salaries and pensions have to be afforded somehow.
For austerity scientists (and kids) you can examine a  spectra by glinting a light source obliquely off a CD and examining the resulting rainbow. Strip lights produce a spectra with a strong green emission line from the Mercury content. Energy saver bulbs (which are also fluorescent tubes) produce a quite spectacular series of coloured blobs.
Highlighted

As I mentioned in another thread the lights on the main road near me causing the orange light pollution have been replaced with excellent LED lights giving a well controlled bluish white illumination.
I can't wait to see the effect on a clear winters evening. Smiley

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Mav, all this has caused me to go burrowing in my "library" for my (first edition but battered) copy of Naked Eye Astronomy. I'm enjoying reacquainting myself with it. I have no reason to suppose you will not find it interesting too.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Fixes: 413

Still awaiting our copy - hope it comes early next week.
Just spent the last hour or so helping SWMBO put the telescope together and making sure it works and all seems ok. Never seen anyone so excited at seeing a few leaves on the tree at the end of the garden Wink
But we do have a small problem in that, even at the end of the back garden, the pole star cannot be seen and we have a street lamp just outside the front garden. I assume that this may make setting the telescope up properly a little difficult or nigh impossible?
Is there another way it can be done? May have to leave it to another day anyway unless the skies clear by the tonight.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Demolish what is in the way of course!!
Not being able to see the pole star is a disadvantage with the equatorial type mount you have.
If it allows you to fairly accurately set the latitude angle the angle of the tube to the level horizontal (a sat nav can give this information or a good OS 25000 map of your area) by then setting the circles of the mount to zero's and pointing the tube by moving the tripod not the telescope tube to as near accurately true north as possible you'll be on the way. This is what you would have been doing anyway if you could see the pole star but probably fine tuning the tripod to get it accurately.
There are other ways of doing it by other stars, but its a computation of RA (right ascension) and HA (hour angle) settings on the mount circles but it needs to be done at exactly the right time of day (or night actually) for the star to be in the right place for setting up (it will be moving). Not a process for the beginner, and can defeat  experienced observers.
Once you are happy with the telescope position mark the position of the tripod feet, one leg should face true north with the tube rather than the middle of the other two. When packing away (unless you can leave it set up) do not close up the tripod legs, so that replacing should be just a matter of lining up with the feet marks.
In which compass direction (gulp!!) from your viewing position is the street lamp? If its between north and south via east well its not tooooo serious, if its between south and north via west I suggest you move home to somewhere darker at night or get your council to turn it off, they may be penny pinching enough to do that during the late hours, otherwise its going to spoil all your fun.
Good luck Mav, it looks as if you have all the disadvantages you can use.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

for those who can`t afford Photoshop.... a freebie "lookalike" is PhotPosPro....
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

Gimp is available on all platforms.
Good luck with removing the yellow component from white stars.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@Mav.... go in the loft with a broom..... bash it upwards, and make a hole... poke telescope through...  Simples ! ! .. Cheesy