Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Any budding astronomers?

@strat: you could always join the SAS might be cheaper
Highlighted
Fixes: 478

That could be worse...I'd end up buying a bigger personal telescope Cry

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 82.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Thunderclap

[The 'Planetarium' is now at the Royal Observatory in Greenwhich - up on the hill. They moved in 2006. I remember as a kid seeing the original Zeiss projector at Baker Street, which looked like a crazy alien insect.

I could be quite wrong, but I don't think the Greenwich Planetarium uses the original Ziess projector, have a feeling that went back to Zeiss. But you're right it was some piece of work. At one time it was lowered to the ground floor in a glass box between performances, But don't recall that happening the last few times I was there.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Fixes: 418

Quote from: Thunderclap
I remember as a kid seeing the original Zeiss projector at Baker Street, which looked like a crazy alien insect.

That's my recollection of it, too Cheesy - I must have been about 7 or 8. May have been since but certainly not as an adult.
Quote from: Strat
Agh!!! I hate this thread. It's going to cost me money.

Sorry about that, strat. You and me alike Roll_eyes
[quote=Wikipedia]From 2010 forward, the building that once housed the London Planetarium houses the Marvel Superheroes 4D attraction.
Didn't bother with that last week.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Already I'm browsing reflectors on Amazon Angry

I only wish I could. When we moved here my biggest regret was that the viewing from the garden is as bad as its possible to get with surrounding tall  trees houses and fences, not to mention the lights of the M25 and Watford to the south. so I sold a very reasonable short open frame tube cassegrain** 10inch reflector on a fixed pedestal mount (not new to me) But like you this thread is giving me an itchy credit card.
**Cassegrain reflectors have a hole in the middle of the mirror and a secondary internal mirror arrangement to reflect the light through the hole to a secondary (alternative) eyepiece arrangement giving a much longer focal length at the bottom end of the tube. Short tubes allow a very fast (f7 in my case) focal length at the primary eyepiece. Another type, Cordue focus directs the light through a hollow polar axis by extra mirrors that since the polar axis is static the light can be directed to another room if so desired.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Grafter

Already I'm browsing reflectors on Amazon

Check out Telescope House ( Broadhurst Clarkson and Fuller ) - http://www.telescopehouse.com/
I'd recommend a pair of decent 15x70 binnoculars for anyone interested in skygazing - you'll get a deep sky experience without needing deep pockets.
Highlighted

I have a couple of pairs of binoculars to hand but the problem is they don't have a tripod fitting so are very difficult to keep steady enough.

Highlighted

I found this article on the closure of the London Planetarium.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Highlighted
Community Veteran

As a cheaper option you could always try a radio-telescope, must be a good way to recycle some of the old large TV dishes by converting them to radio telescopes, thus avoiding light pollution, clouds, getting cold.
Jupiter transmits an easily detectable radio signals in the 10 to 25mhz range, easy to observe with a directional antenna, worth trying something with a USB plug. There are any number of software applications for radio-telescopes, few listed here http://satorchi.net/specsoft/specsoft.php
another example is IO, (Jupiter moon), it generates variable intense noise with it's orbit.  
There are some weird signals coming from   Saturn

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 19

Use an internet telescope.  Cheesy
http://www.telescope.org/ looks interesting.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted

A few photos of the Perseid  meteor shower

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Should we inaugurate an Astronomical Society of Plus (or ASOP) what a great acronym. Or drop the o and be ASPS

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Already I'm browsing reflectors on Amazon Angry

Thank you very very much Strat, now look what you've done Angry
Browsing through the Amazon reflectors and reading reviews of this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008I59ZI2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 my mouse took on a life of its own and quivering with the effort of trying to drag it away clicked the "Buy with one click" button before I could stop it Sad
Now I'm going to have to chop a branch off my Conference Pear tree and get my neighbour to trim some of his (not over grown) Leylandi a bit.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

had to smile:
4.2 out of 5 stars
Highlighted

Quote from: Petlew
Thank you very very much Strat, now look what you've done Angry

Mav started it Angry Maybe we should bill him for expenses Cool