Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any budding astronomers?

Highlighted
Fixes: 417

Re: Any budding astronomers?

Quote from: Petlew
@Mav, all this has caused me to go burrowing in my "library" for my (first edition but battered) copy of Naked Eye Astronomy. I'm enjoying reacquainting myself with it. I have no reason to suppose you will not find it interesting too.

The book arrived this morning. It's hardback (third edition) and the cover is a little battered but not too bad. SWMBO has taken it to the garden to get acquainted with it Smiley
@journeys Thanks for the extra info. We may go to the cliffs at Herne Bay tonight as we may get a better view from there without streetlights invading our line of sight.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

You should get a good sighting overhead of the ISS at Herne bay,... moving from west to east at 22:12 to 22:17  max brightness...
there is an earlier pass to the south ( overhead Dover) between 20:36 and 20:42  again max brightness.
Highlighted
Fixes: 477

Quote from: shutter
Seven Ages of Starlight

What a beautiful and thought provoking program. I just love this kind of thing.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 82.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Just took my kids outside to watch the ISS go over  Smiley
Unfortunately it is too cloudy to keep them out in the garden to catch the meteor shower tonight  Sad
Plusnet FTTC 80/20 IPv4/30, Hurricane Electric 6in4 IPv6/48, Pulse8 landline & calls, SamKnows 600N
Vigor 130 modem, pfSense 2.4.5-p1 router, 5 WAPs, Devolo dLAN 500, Gigaset N300A-IP VoIP DECT
Highlighted
Community Veteran

just managed to see it go over again, before a big cloud crossed its path.... another chance at 23:00 tonight  ... same route...  max brightness...
Highlighted
Community Veteran

SuperNova in M74.....
point your telesopes and see if you can see it ! ! ..
http://www.universetoday.com/103766/another-possible-bright-supernova-discovered-in-spiral-galaxy-m7...
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Watched the ISS go over for the second time tonight !.
The sky is now completely clear, so have watched a steady stream of 'shooting stars' from the meteor shower.
Cool
Plusnet FTTC 80/20 IPv4/30, Hurricane Electric 6in4 IPv6/48, Pulse8 landline & calls, SamKnows 600N
Vigor 130 modem, pfSense 2.4.5-p1 router, 5 WAPs, Devolo dLAN 500, Gigaset N300A-IP VoIP DECT
Highlighted

Saw the ISS yesterday but no luck with the Perseids. SWMBO saw it earlier, she thinks. We didn't get to Herne Bay, though Sad

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Mav, How to get into SWMBO's good books and have her eating out of your hand:
Book trip and hotel in London.
Book in advance tickets for the London Planetarium.
If you've never been there before I promise you, you won't regret it.
Well, that's how I started this post, but while writing it I Googled London Planetarium so that I could add some more information, but was devastated to find its been closed down.
I first saw the "show" just after it opened in 1958, and throughout my teenage years took a number of girlfriends there, most of whom were reluctant but all were utterly entranced by it. The most recent was around 10 years ago when my wife was in hospital seriously ill, just to give myself something else to think about.
In all, I think I've seen the Planetarium show maybe 8 or 9 times, several times alone. My mates went to the strip clubs in nearby Soho, I went to the Planetarium. In the early days it couldn't be booked in advance and I was disappointed not get in a couple of times.
A new Planetarium has opened in Greenwich http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186338-d678565-Reviews-Peter_Harrison_Planetarium-Lo... But some of the reviews are not all favourable.
What a sad loss.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Saw the ISS yesterday but no luck with the Perseids. SWMBO saw it earlier, she thinks. We didn't get to Herne Bay, though Sad

Once you know what the ISS is, you can't miss it! We saw a brief flurry of Perseids fireballs early last night - a couple of OMGs with persistent trails - and then it went quiet... very quiet... so we went back in.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@shutter: M74 good find, thanks, good view at 04:00
midnight tonight just south of east at 50 degrees altitude
Highlighted

Quote from: Petlew
@Mav, How to get into SWMBO's good books and have her eating out of your hand:
Book trip and hotel in London.
Book in advance tickets for the London Planetarium.

Funny you should mention that as I was waxing lyrical about the Planetarium as we made our way to Tussaud's last Thursday. We even talked about visiting after our Tussaud's visit. I remember visiting as a child and being thrilled by the experience.
On passing from the direction of Baker Street station I noted that there didn't seem to be an entrance. It seems, from what I could gleam from the way we exited, that Tussaud's has taken over much of the old Planetarium space. Come to think of it, I remember looking up to the top of the dome and I don't recall seeing Saturn there.
Now you mention it I think I remember reading a while back at it moving to Greenwich Sad

Highlighted
Fixes: 477

Agh!!! I hate this thread. It's going to cost me money.
Already I'm browsing reflectors on Amazon Angry

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 82.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Funny you should mention that as I was waxing lyrical about the Planetarium as we made our way to Tussaud's last Thursday. We even talked about visiting after our Tussaud's visit. I remember visiting as a child and being thrilled by the experience.
Now you mention it I think I remember reading a while back at it moving to Greenwich Sad

The 'Planetarium' is now at the Royal Observatory in Greenwhich - up on the hill. They moved in 2006. I remember as a kid seeing the original Zeiss projector at Baker Street, which looked like a crazy alien insect.
Here's a Greenwhich question : How many Greenwhich Meridians are there at Greenwhich?
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 19

Its Greenwich.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."