Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any bread machine fans out there?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Any bread machine fans out there?

Fancy swapping a recipe or two...
I've been using a bread machine on and off for the last 10 years or so, and have had three machines: 2 Breville's one of which was the extremely expensive, huge and disappointing Anthony Worrell Thompson model, both of which were far better in the produced smell than they were with the resulting bread especially the AWT machine, these have subsequently been replaced 4 months ago with the wonderful Panasonic SD-255, which not only smells good while working but produces great bread as well, a significant improvement on the Breville's.
These days I am "obliged" to supply loaves as raffle prizes at my bowls club socials, which is where I practice fancy breads rather than the bog-standard wholemeal and white we tend to eat at home. So if you have any suggestions please feel free...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
31 REPLIES
the_groundsman
Grafter

Re: Any bread machine fans out there?

Yep - Panasonic is the best I've come across - I can't help with the recipes too much as I need to use it to make gluten free bread for my kids who both have Coeliac Disease. Its more common  than you might  think and often misdiagnosed.
Community Veteran

Sorry I can't give any suggestions although I do have a bread machine, it's at Somerfield Crazy
I am trying to cut down on eating bread though.
N/A

Bet Petlew's house smells delicious. When I was nobbut a chil' I used to stay at my gran's who lived just up the road from Plusnet Towers and, more importantly, next door to a bakery. I used to wake up in the mornings to the wonderful aroma of fresh baked bread - wonderful.
As for bread machines, I tried one once but took it back - made a thorough mess of it (the 'bread' that is, although not sure if it was worthy of the name). Mind you, I am no cook and get out of the kitchen ASAP so sorry, can't be of much use re bread machines.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Yep, it's a wonderful aroma! We've had an SD-253 for a few years, and I'd rate it as the best kitchen appliance investment after a microwave. If it failed tomorrow I'd be straight out to replace it with the 255.
Sorry Petlew, no experience of anything really fancy, but if you haven't tried the booklet's 5-seeded loaf or the 50/50 wholemeal/white I'd recommend them.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

@poppy, the only rule with bread machines as far as I know is, serious accuracy with ingredient weights and volumes, especially liquids, if a recipe calls for 340ml of water it means just that, 335 or 345 will not do, the same applies to weights, bread making is the only area I habitually use metric rather than imperial, personally I find it much easier to work with in relatively small amounts.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 4Candles
but if you haven't tried the booklet's

Does your Panasonic book have the Apricot and Walnut loaf? if not let me know.

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

It does, but I don't like walnuts.
Not young enough to know everything
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: 4Candles
Yep, it's a wonderful aroma! We've had an SD-253 for a few years, and I'd rate it as the best kitchen appliance investment after a microwave.

So for those without a microwave - is a bread machine a step too far?
Community Veteran

@James G, We (ooop's I) use our bread machine far more often than the microwave, if it came to a battle of worktop space, then it would be the microwave that would go, we could cheerfully live without it.

Lurker
Grafter

We all know statistics are made up on the spot as a general rule, but I'm certain I heard that the average microwave will consume more power keeping the clock running than it ever will cooking food.
As yet, the only use time I've thought it might be useful was if I forgot to defrost some meat for the next evening meal - but that's easy to solve; I keep a bag of prawns in the freezer, so you can always defrost *something* for tea in a few minutes without a microwave.
Big cooker, two ovens and a steamer, and you have everything you need IMO! Micorwaves, PAH!
Anyway, back to the topic, have you tried to make bread by hand, rather than use the machine?
Certainly its time-consuming enough to not be doing it regularly for your 'daily bread' but it is at least as interesting as trying to perfect it in a machine.
Wonder how it would compare (taste/texture), and how the experience compares.

Community Veteran

@James G, no I haven't tried, but I regularly let the bread machine do the hard work with dough only settings and do the second rise and any shaping (roll's etc) by hand, and bake in the oven.
Biggest problem we have is attempting to eat any bread (which ever method is used) too hot, it usually is rather slightly soggy and heavy (and a pig to slice) while the internal steam disperses, its nice hot, but has better texture and not so "heavy" if its allowed to cool first.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I've been after a bread machine for ages.  I've borrowed the mother-in-laws while we where visiting over Easter, so have one at home now, but not had the chance to see what I can do with it yet.  Here's hoping for some time over the weekend!  The Mrs has a wheat intolerance, so does anyone have any wheat-free recipies for the bread machine that they wouldn't mind sharing?
Phil
Community Veteran

@pjmarsh, the Panasonic SD-255 is highly recommended (see Amazon for some good prices for this) you should be able to adapt practically any recipe to a machine, there are many alternatives to wheat flour that can be used.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Thanks Petlew.  We've made some really nice wheat free cake, but never attempted bread (yet!).  The supermarket bread tends not to be great, but I'm looking forward to experimenting with the bread machine.
Phil