cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any arduino'ers here?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Any arduino'ers here?

I've got a scanner off freecycle that I'm picking up tomorrow. Owner says it's basically turned into a zombie but the thing has a document feeder on top.
Now with my recent program for keeping all my postal mail in a database and my current ADF scanner being a bit of a pain (keeps disconnecting, reconnecting as a different device, refusing to scan etc) I figured that perhaps I should look at hacking this new scanner up.
Now I'm assuming that arduino should in theory be capable of reading a scanner cameras output? - Anyone know of any similar projects like this online? As I also have another spare flatbed scanner, I figured I might have a bash at hacking it into a double sided scanner - assuming I can get an arduino to do the job.
I've googled, come up with nothing. Anyone else got any links to something similar?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
2 REPLIES
Thunderclap
Grafter

Re: Any arduino'ers here?

Quote from: Sprite
Now I'm assuming that arduino should in theory be capable of reading a scanner cameras output?

A scanners detector (or strip on a LIDE device) is seriously proprietory? You could hack a scanner hard core - by figuring out which digital and PWM pins on your geekuino board go where, and then write a long script to handle the I/O, lamp, stepping motors and paper feeder, but scanner makers provide a nice USB sockets to communicate TWAIN commands to and fro the device and leave all that low level stuff in the firmware.
I do note though, there is a Rasberry Pi Print and Scanner Server project out there.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Any arduino'ers here?

Quote from: Thunderclap
but scanner makers provide a nice USB sockets to communicate TWAIN commands to and fro the device and leave all that low level stuff in the firmware.

None of that is any use to me if the damned thing isn't working though is it! Thats why I'm looking to see if it's possible to reproduce the scanner hardware / code with an arduino.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!