cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Historical Detectives out there ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Any Historical Detectives out there ?

I have just acquired a Morse key, from a seller on  Ebay France,   I bought it, for two reasons... firstly, it looks interesting. and historical. and secondly because of the imprints that I noticed  on the sides of the wooden base.

Could not see them properly on the sales pics.. so I have now taken my own photo`s  ( see below ). and I am looking for some help in identifying what the marks may mean.

On one side it is quite clear, the white paint has been protected by the varnish... and the pic shows a "monogram"   which could be  S over F... ..... or    F over S and the numbers 8706.... Not too worried about the numbers, and the "monogram" meaning, may come to light, if the other side image can be deciphered. or applied to something to do with , possibly, the French Army.   ( or French Telegraph system  ? )

the first bit, of the second side, looks very much like a French Preist`s hat... with a Religious Cross in the middle of two stylised Tridents.  and then a date that reads 11.8.14     which I read as the 8th of November 1914 (about 3 months after the start of World War 1 ).

Does anyone know, or recognise the symbols shown in the pics... or can point me towards somewhere that I may find further info?

The third pic is the one that was shown on the Sales Listing... and how I received it this afternoon.... Yes, I connected it up, immediately and it worked, with no problems....  ! 

Am now in the process of refurbishing it, to make it part of my collection. and to use it from time to time.

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Any Historical Detectives out there ?

Community Veteran

Hi Jim... Nope !... thanks for the linkys... they look "interesting"... will bookmark them for future... Will add further info to this thread, if/when I find something...

Meanwhile.... any one else  ? ?  

Thanks

Wink

EDIT EDIT EDIT.......  unfortunately, nothing on those two sites... but very interesting, and well worth another look. cheers. 

the search for information goes on ! ...

Community Veteran

UPDATE.... well, it has been an interesting search.... Initially, I thought the morse key was of French origin, . however, doing some long deep searches it appears that it is a German Klopfer M99  , made by Hartman & Braun .  and used extensively by the German Troops in WW1.   So, I am pleased that I have found that info,.. but at the same time a little disappointed that it was not a French Key !.. I`ll love it, and use it, just the same ! ! ! !.

Community Veteran

Another Update ! ! . I only put a pic of each side of the base of the Morse Key.. but have been doing some work on it...... See the attached pics ....

the original rusty looking thing, was as it was shown on the Sales Listing.  and how I received it from the guy in France.

I have cleaned it up a little bit, and it works as good as it looks... 

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Cleaned it up ! You've ruined it now, it's no longer in original condition Wink

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Beautiful job, @shutter.

Shame about the stray strands on the bell wire.  Wink

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

the strands of the bell wire are to "hook it up" to another key... it will be wired up "properly"  ... and take a place in the collection of 15 others ! .

198kHz
Seasoned Pro

15 Morsepower - powerful!  Smiley

Community Veteran

Well, What a journey that was ! ! !.... and I bet most of you think that Morse keys are "dead" and "dead boring"...

For those interested in the "clean up" check out the work involved, here.... 

http://nemosphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/german-klopfertaste-knocker-key-m99.html

and for those who like a bit of history....  check this story out  ...

http://nemosphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/a-morse-key-connection.html

Bear in mind... when this key was made, it was at the start of the internet......

. and also the start of World War 1. so the German Army and the German Post office, would be needing hundreds of keys made...

I could have picked any one of those hundreds.... but they would be "just another key"..

. The story  of this  key has  connected  me  with  some real people  from  history. and I am  amazed  that  after  102 years ( today is the key`s anniversary), it can still connect over the "modern" internet, doing the job it was made for

In fact,... you could say this key has taken me on another "Big Adventure"... !

198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Nice work @shutter, on the key and the history.

Provenance makes such a difference to a treasured item. Smiley