cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Ford mechanics?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Any Ford mechanics?

I have a 1.4 Focus Zetec that needs a few bits replaced.
The water pump, PS pump and the tensioner to be exact.
What is involved in replacing these? How long should it take etc?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Any Ford mechanics?

That's quite a bit of work.
I would also change the auxiliary belt if I was doing a timing belt.  Parts are not so expensive for the timing belt, it's the access that's the problem and why it takes a good couple of hours at least.
Power steering pump - can take up to a couple of hours too.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Here is a Video on Youtube.... ( not watched it so can`t comment on it )... 25 mins long...

how to..... replace the water pump ....
couldn`t find one about the Power Steering pump.
Is there a Ford Focus Forum?  might be worth a search on there if there is....
Community Veteran

The timing belt was changed last month. I thought all these were fed from the aux belt so no removal of the timing belt was necessary?
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Is there a Ford Focus Forum?  
Yes, but most of the in-depth technical information is in the paid members section (£10pa).
Worth registering and asking a question in the general area as a newbie though. www.ffoc.co.uk
Community Veteran

Having registered I have almost ZERO access to the site, pretty useless unless you pay for it.
Community Veteran

Did you introduce yourself and ask a question? Are you planning to do this job yourself, or just verifying labour quotes from a garage?
Community Veteran

If the job is straight forward I will do it myself. it it requires the t-belt to be removed or special tools then a garage.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
The timing belt was changed last month. I thought all these were fed from the aux belt so no removal of the timing belt was necessary?

It's bad practice not to change the water pump when doing the timing belt. 95% of the work to change the water pump is done when you change the timing belt. Water pumps don't go as often as timing belts, but if they do it can mean a new engine.
Who did the timing belt?
Community Veteran

A local mechanic.
So apart from removing the cam belt COVER does the belt need to be removed at all? (I have been looking at the pump earlier)
Community Veteran

There would be "tensioner" pulleys on the belt...... somewhere..... so you would have to release them.. Usually under a very very strong spring pressure.... You also need to find the "pin hole" to fix the camshaft in position whilst you removed the belt/tension... as this is critical to the timing of the pistons and valve openings....
Why not get a quote from your local friendly mobile mechanic?  You could phone up a couple to see what they would charge, and how long the job(s) would take....
Community Veteran

There are 2 belts. One external serving (I believe) the water pump, ps pump, and the alternator (and maybe the air con pump) with a tensioner that needs replaced.
There is also a separate belt INSIDE a cover, serving the cam shafts etc.
The water pump has a couple of bolts INSIDE this cover but unless it crosses the belt then does the cam belt need removed?
I can see I will need to get a Haynes manual soon.
This was the "mobile mechanic" that said the above.
Community Veteran

Not knowing the engine, or the layout, but from your description, I would not think it necessary to touch the cambelt or tensioners, if just replacing the water pump... ( unless, it is in the way of the removal of any other parts to remove the water pump, which I suspect would not be the case)..
I had a waterpump belt break on my car ( skoda fabia 1.9 sdi ) and I had a new belt fitted by my rescue company in Morrisons carpark  ( i carry a spare for just such occasion).. His main problem was finding some way of holding back the tensioner whilst trying to get the belt around the pulleys, So from that, and what you are describing, the setup on your car and mine are similar....
Community Veteran

I've ordered a Haynes manual from Amazon, so can get more info on it. From discussions on a Ford forum it looks like the cam belt tensioner needs removed to remove the water pump.
I am undecided what to do, the wp is NOT leaking, but the aux tensioner and ps pump both have bearing wear, so I could just get the 2 of them replaced and at a later time replace the wp. (I have all the parts so if it does leak I can get it done quickly)