cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Advice on this

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Any Advice on this

Sent a e-mail to Nationwide regarding security on my bank account when using Linux , reply was as follows,

Dear Member,

Thank you for your message.
We fully support the following browser for Internet banking:

Operating System                                            Fully Supported                     
Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 only            Internet Explorer 7
                                                                      Internet Explorer 8
                                                                      Internet Explorer 9
                                                                      Firefox 12
                                                                      Google Chrome 18

Mac OS X (10.4 +)                                            Safari 5
                                                                      Firefox 12
                                                                      Google Chrome 18

What we don't support:

1.Any Beta versions of browsers
2.Any browsers running on any Linux distribution (e.g. Konqueror/KDE, Firefox/Ubuntu)
3.Camino, Omniweb or Shiira on Mac OS X

Beta versions of browsers are still in development and we need to ensure they work correctly with our Internet Bank and systems. Our Internet Bank may work, however we can't provide you with any technical support and the Internet Banking Promise doesn't apply until the browser is supported.

Support is given on the basis that you don't switch off certain features in the browser settings (e.g. disabling JavaScript) or customise the browser in ways that may affect how it works (for example, adding browser extensions that may cause content not to load or render properly). For tips and advice on browser setups visit our Troubleshooting site.
Anyone any comments or thoughts about this ?
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: Any Advice on this

I think all it means is that their "Promise" won't apply. And given the release schedule of Firefox, the promise won't apply either half the time, unless you're going to only use the version Nationwide support.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Interesting to note that Nationwide Building Society, do not consider Firefox to be safe to use with LINUX........................................ Undecided  yet it is safe to use with Windows....
Cheesy
Now, correct me if I am wrong....... but don`t all these Linux users think they are "safe" >>>>....>>........  ?  Roll eyes Roll eyes
Heloman
Grafter

Yes Shutter, we are safer than Windows or even MAC, even with Firefox .
You misunderstand what Nationwide are saying: they don't support Linux, whatever browser you use. That is because they haven't tested with Linux because they don't think it is mainstream enough to bother.
PN also only support Windows and MAC:
https://portal.plus.net/residential/faqs.shtml#includedSupport
There is no question that Linux (whatever browser) is inherently more secure the other Os's.
I do have Win7 installed, but would only ever use Linux for banking Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

I'd think it's based on the relative releases of Linux that they can't promise support, with Windows you have 3 variants (XP, Vista, 7) and they support only 4 browsers (not IE6 interestingly which is probably the browser the bank itself uses).  OSX they support 3 browsers 2 of which are supported on Windows (but Safari isn't supported on Windows).  For Linux they would have to support more operating systems than I care to think, Ubuntu, SuSE, Red Hat, Fedora, Debian etc. etc. etc. which could raise the costs of support prohibitively high for a relatively small amount of users, so it's a case of supporting as many people as possible and if you have an issue their tech drones on the computers can push the right buttons.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@gleneagles,
I use Linux and Firefox and had similar issues when they upgraded the online banking site, in that it said my browser was not fully supported. I guess that's maybe what started you on this thread. I just changed the user agent in Firefox to make them believe I was using Firefox on Windows!!. Grin
http://www.howtogeek.com/113439/how-to-change-your-browsers-user-agent-without-installing-any-extens...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Their 'Online Banking Promise' doesn't metion restriction to specific browser / OS combinations:
You're backed by an online banking promise
If you lose money as a result of fraud through our online banking service, we’ll put the money back in your account immediately. This means that you won’t lose a penny if we find that you have been the victim of fraud.
Paul Cooper, Head of Online Banking

If you lose money as a result of fraud through our online banking service, we’ll put the money back in your account immediately providing that:
1.You have not given to someone else your memorable data or passnumber that you use to access our online banking service
2.You have complied with the security data obligations contained within our online banking terms and conditions
3.You have provided correct payment instructions
4.You did not authorise the transaction
5.The fraud has not occurred as a result of you using an account aggregation service that consolidates information from each of your financial accounts into one place such as a single website.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The fact that they do not make clear what they do or do not support is the thing that bothers me.
Perhaps I am being pedantic but in their literature and adverts they should make it clear which operating Systems & Browsers they support, I guess not many people are still using Windows 98 or windows 2000 but there is no indication they are supported.
The point is if you were a victim of fraud and you used anything other than what they  list as approved then they would have every right to refuse to refund your money.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I remember from a while back, that I was reading my bank's internet banking terms and conditions, and that specified a list of conditions that the customer had to demonstrate were met in order for the bank to consider a refund of fraudulent transactions.  As a Linux user I did wonder what the bank would expect to see for their definition of "fully up to date internet security and anti-virus software" ?  Undecided
Community Veteran

According to the browser support page - click the Support tab - IE6 users are covered by the promise.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Why not just produce HTML standard web pages?
BTW Nationwide, Halifax, Natwest Crazy all appear to support Firefox 13 on Linux (64 bit version).

Community Veteran

Is their "promise" just giving you something you're entitled to anyway? Or is just promising to do it faster?
From http://www.banksafeonline.org.uk/resources/faqs?page=1
Q: If I have had money withdrawn from my account by criminals, will I get a full refund?
A: You have legal protection provided you act with reasonable care and take sensible precautions to protect yourself.

(That answer doesn't really answer the question.)
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
Perhaps I am being pedantic but in their literature and adverts they should make it clear which operating Systems & Browsers they support,
The point is if you were a victim of fraud and you used anything other than what they  list as approved then they would have every right to refuse to refund your money.

(My underlining)
You have, perhaps inadvertently, highlighted the million dollar question. The difference between support and approval.
PN don't "support" Linux in the sense that they are unable to provide technical assistance for it, I believe.
Your bank say that they don't support Linux. But is that the same as not approving it?
I've no idea. It probably would need to be tested in court  Sad
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I got asked a daft question by NatWest today.
I was rung up by some poor PR company, who wanted to know what I thought of my local Natwest branch.
I said that I was happy with the branch - but that my opinion would be affected by the recent Natwest shambles in India.
They couldn't get off the phone quick enough!
No, there was no need for me to do their survey!  Grin

Heloman
Grafter

Just an interesting PS.
The US Navy and Department of Defence are dumping Windows and changing to Linux, because it is more secure !
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/linux-grabs-its-single-biggest-win/3690