cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti-virus on Android Phones

Fixes: 124

Anti-virus on Android Phones

Has anyone any experience of running AVG Mobilation for Android Smartphones & Tablets or similar app?
I have recently obtained the HTC Wildfire which is my first Android phone.
I understand that these phones could be subject the threats but how serious are these? Does it really warrant this kind of protection and, if so, is AVG any good?
What impact on the speed and usability of the phone does it have?
I do get a few unwanted txts but, so far, have been from 'reputable' companies like Pizza Hut so is the added cost of 'real time' SMS protection necessary?
I'd really like to hear your comments on this before I download anything.
[quote=AVG Website]Security
    * Scan whole device and identify and remove viruses with a simple click
    * Automatic scans can be run weekly, daily, or on demand
    * Check apps for malware before downloading from app stores
    * Check website content, emails, and SMS for malware before downloading to device
Theft protection
    * Locate lost or stolen device using GPS
    * Create and display message on screen remotely
    * Lock device and wipe content
    * Manage applications remotely
SMS Spam Protection
    * Basic protection from SMS Spammers

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Anti-virus on Android Phones

it ain't windows, so i wouldn't bother.  android has a similar file structure to linux and bsd.  it's nigh on impossible for a virus to propogate in these systems.  some sort of spam filtering may be useful though as that stuff gets everywhere.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

er un no,  Google have very recently removed a lot of Aps, they somehow can log onto their phone and get rid of them  http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/google-whacks-malicious-android-apps-by-hitting-its-remote-kill-swit...
Fixes: 124

I have previously read  How safe is your smartphone? from a couple of weeks ago.
But I have read (can't remember where now) that some anti-virus programs can cause more problems than they're worth.
I don't store important data (bank details, account numbers, passwords and the like on my phone) but I do, obviously, have telephone numbers and some addresses.
Not sure I like the idea of Google being able to remotely uninstal any apps as mentioned in Pierre's link.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still