cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti-Mould Paint ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Anti-Mould Paint ?

Is there such a product on the market? has anyone used it, (if there is).... any recommendations?
Problem is ... small patches of black mould in bedroom on "skillings".... ie. where ceiling line is part of the roof angle... ( about 3 feet of sloping ceiling before it becomes "normal" )...
Loft is insulated, and main ceiling has no problem,
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Anti-Mould Paint ?

You need to address the source of the mould problem.
Do you dry your clothes inside? Do you have trickle vents and are they open?
Community Veteran

Clothes are dried in a "condensing" tumble dryer ... downstairs in kitchen... diametrically opposite and distant from the affected area....
Trickle vents  ? ? ? ?  
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

where ceiling line is part of the roof angle 

So on the other side of the ceiling are the roof tiles? If so, you have a "cold-bridge" between the tiles and the ceiling, caused by poor insulation. There should be a layer of uninterrupted insulation all the way between the tiles and plasterboard.
The condensation comes from your breath! Breathing at night in an enclosed space.
Community Veteran

We've skillings,  couple of suggestions, if the skilling space between the roof and the plasterboard is 'blocked' with insulation you will not get airflow thru the roof space, with a warm (summer) roof condensation will build up in the roof void then drain down to the skilling area hence the mold. Have you  ventilation between the main roof void and outside air.
Could look at a couple of roof ventilator tiles  or remove/modify part the insulation from the skillings.  (these are a form of trickle vent)
dehumidifier in room for a couple of hours per day would help in the short term.
Anti-mold paint just covers up the problem.
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

The part you talk about is the coldest part of the ceiling, ive worked construction in the past and seen this many many times. Its most likely that the bit you talking about wont actually have installation above it and even if it does because its the coldest point its always going to collect dampness.
When dealing with this the best advice would be to keep a vent open in your rooms every night so that theres always a circulation of air this plays a big part too keeping damp/condensation at bay.
As for the black mould this is just because the part of the roof is the coldest part and cold = damp = mould, theres some chemials you can buy... simply spray on the mould leave it for alittle while then run it off with a cloth... it helps to kill off the mould and prevents it coming back. You will never be able to stop damp only slow it down Smiley
I use this >> http://www.amazon.co.uk/HG-186050106-Mould-Spray/dp/B000IU40HQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416138969&sr=...
If you have lots of mould over a large area, you should get someone to check it out because there could be an issue with your roof, but if this is mould created by condensation then the above chemical should do the trick, I would deffo clean it first before apply paint there is special paint you can get which works for a while before the mould slowly returns, I think u best using the cleaner
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

The only way you will fix it is to properly insulate between the ceiling and the tiles.
Community Veteran

We use a dehumidifier in our en-suite. It not only keeps the rooms warm without using too much energy but stops almost all of the damp and mould and the towels dry out quickly as well.
Community Veteran

Hmm.... interesting responses. .....
One person is saying to insulate the skillings, and the other is saying remove any insulation to create a "vent" area to the main roof space...
Unfortunately, this is a rented house, and there are no "small windows" that could be left open a little....
also there is no "vent" brick in the room....
I have cleaned the area with a strong bleach solution, and this is holding it at bay for the time being...
To access the skillings for the purpose of removing, or installing, insulation would entail removing 1/3rd of the slate tiles across the roof and replacing them involving scaffolding... we have had a quote for this from one roofing guy, and it was between £2,000 and £3,000
The idea of "trickle vents" ( now I know what they are - previously known as vent tiles )  has been put forward by a couple of sources .and this would be the cheaper option, at around £15 each, so about  £60 for four of them, and the labour to fit them ...
Understood about "night time heavy breathing" ! ! ! ... perhaps getting a honeycombe type air brick or two fitted might sort the problem ....
Community Veteran

Can you take a pic?
I suspect if you cut through the plasterboard, there would be mould on the back of it also. Is it cold to touch where the mould has been growing?
I doubt an air brick/trickle vent will make much difference to your problem. It does sound like there is either not enough insulation or too much and the air flow has been restricted. You need to have an air gap to avoid a build up of moisture which could cause the trusses to rot.
You can also speak to the technical guys at Rockwool/Celotex etc. as they give great advice. The only issue is going to be explaining to them exactly what is behind the plasterboard.
Personally, I would cut a piece of the plasterboard out to see what's behind there.
nanotm
Pro

if its black mould I would take a picture, document the treatment date and take another picture in a month then contact environmental health and have the land lord forced to sort out the property so that it complies with H&S regulations for landlords

wasting your own cash to fix a problem that is either bad building  design or age of building and lack of maintence based isn't a tenant responsibility, and if the land lord proposes that he "paints the affected area" remind him that black mould causes lung disease and you will be suing them every time you get a chest infection, not to mention holding them vicariously liable for any associated deaths .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
itsme
Grafter

There are 3 causes of damp that will lead to mould. Which are, raising, penetrating and condensation the first 2 the landlord will be responsible to fix the latter will be a very grey area as normally this down to inadequate heating and ventilation.
Community Veteran

For me, tenants are the biggest cause of mould.
No idea why, but I've had issues with them:
1) Drying their washing inside (despite having a tumble dryer)
2) Not using the bathroom and kitchen extractor fans
3) Not opening the windows to aerate the rooms
It's now in all my agreements that they have to do all three things above.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyH
For me, tenants are the biggest cause of mould.

Ditto, we took on a building which had been tenanted. The building surveyor thought there was a damp problem. All we needed to do was install suitable heat recovery ventilation and the problem went away. The units come in a range of shapes/sizes/efficiency.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair

........................... install suitable heat recovery ventilation and the problem went away. The units come in a range of shapes/sizes/efficiency.

Interesting.... are they available on Ebay? ( Cheap ?)
or can I get a government grant to get that installation done for me ?  Roll eyes