Did you mean: 

Anti Car Park Bumping "Radar" Detector

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Anti Car Park Bumping "Radar" Detector

Witnessed today.
Supermarket Car Park

A car was reversing out of a space, and as it closely approached another large car, the large car emitted a very loud series of warning Beeps, heard across the car park...
The Beeping car was parked up, and unoccupied !
The reversing car stopped, and pulled forwards a bit, before successfully reversing out of its space.
( I suspect the detector was Ultrasonic, not actual Radar. )
The large car had detectors in its back bumper.

Seems like a nice idea.
They didn't go off when I intentionally walked close to the large car
Didn't notice what make it was, may have been a Mercedes, or similar.
48 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Anti Car Park Bumping "Radar" Detector

Did the car also have a red light in the grill which scanned back and forth?
Infinity
Pro

Google gave me this...
http://www.smileyouaredriving.com/uk_en-products.parking-assistance.operation-2.html
When the vehicle is parked with the engine off, the system's alternating sensors permanently detect the movement of approaching vehicles at the front and rear.
Whenever a vehicle comes within one metre of your bumper, the visual and audible alerts are activated in stages, encouraging the other motorist to take extra care when parking.

The alerts are switched off once the other vehicle is parked.
The sound signal can be switched off at any time.
The system remains inactive if the approaching vehicle is itself fitted with a park assist device that contributes to safe parking.
The system does not respond to approaching pedestrians and animals.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: billnotben
Did the car also have a red light in the grill which scanned back and forth?
No but it did park up next to me  when I called on it... Grin
Community Veteran

It must have had the right Kit fitted!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK

The system does not respond to approaching pedestrians and animals.

Clever stuff.
The parking "radar" in the Hybrid Jazz does detect pedestrians and animals, essential, as the Hybrid is so quiet whilst reversing, using Battery Power, pedestrians tend not to notice us revering slowly, or are just plain ignorant.
When about to reverse, a quick Beep on the Horn is used.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: PlusComUK
pedestrians tend not to notice us revering slowly, or are just plain ignorant.

Experience has taught me it's the latter - ignorant.
I've been reversing out plenty of times in a normal car - half way out of the parking bay, still moving and they will STILL walk right behind the car - almost as if they want to be hit. Mind you these days they probably do so they can claim personal injury etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

So because you are reversing out of a car park space ( wrong, you should reverse in and drive out) the pedestrian has to get out of your way?
I believe the Highway code would say you should give way to pedestrians.
Community Veteran

Well it's a good job the highway code doesn't apply to private car parks owned by private companies Wink
Either way, it's still not right to walk out behind a reversing vehicle - we all know that drivers are concentrating on many different viewpoints at once and can easily miss something.
Oh.. and who said you're supposed to reverse in? - The highway code does not say this, some private car parks will stipulate it in their terms but this is rare. So please tell me where you found a rule about this?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
PowerLee
Rising Star

The private car park where I work is reverse park only - great big signs as you drive in & its also painted on the ground as you enter the car park.
Site security will politely remind anybody who happens to fail to take notice of the signs as they enter the car park  Wink
Community Veteran

depends on the motor you're driving.  sometimes it's easier to load up having driven in, necessitating reversing out.
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There is a company car park I know of where they stipulate you must park nose in. This is because the bays are facing an office and they don't want the exhaust fumes from a reversing car through the often open windows.
I always reverse in everywhere because it's easier and safer to get out. I use the parking sensors and door mirrors and never twist in my seat. I do have a built in parking camera but don't like it.
Apparently in WW2 if you parked nose in you were on a charge because of the extra seconds you would lose and cause other nearby vehicles to lose if you have to get out in a hurry.
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Well it's a good job the highway code doesn't apply to private car parks owned by private companies
I would say the Highway Code would apply, the principle is the same, safety of people.
Either way, it's still not right to walk out behind a reversing vehicle
The pedestrian has the right of way.
We all know that drivers are concentrating on many different viewpoints at once and can easily miss something.
That because you are reversing out. If you you reverse in, then driving out is easier and safer.
So please tell me where you found a rule about this?
I found it in the book of common sense
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re reversing into supermarket parking places
Since non of them have sufficient space to get the trolley to the centre of two rows of cars I always reverse out so that I can load the hatchback directly from the trolley
Also if reversing in and leaving sufficient space behind to get into the rear someone then fills the other slot going to within a couple of inches of my bumper.
To add - on the odd occasion I use the big car reversing in with enough space to get into the boot leaves a couple of feet of bonnet sticking out into the aisle
Community Veteran

Reversing camera can be a useful item to have, imagine if you hit someone whilst reversing and in particular a child, no matter what they were doing you would be in the wrong.