cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another use of GPS tracking

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Another use of GPS tracking

The Metropolitan Police are set to begin trials later this year of a system that will allow every office equipped with an Airwave radio to be tracked using GPS.
The Met in common with every other UK police service now use the Airwave digital radio system. GPS has always been part of the Airwave specification, indeed it is already used to track vehicles but this trial will test the viability of tracking every officer using the GPS receiver in their personal radios. What is not clear is whether the existing Airwave radios already have GPS receivers or if this trial will be using new hardware.
Clearly the advantage of knowing exactly where every one of their on-duty 30,000+ officers is cannot be overlooked but there are also the usual privacy concerns being raised. The Met responded in a statement that they would only be tracking on-duty officers and that whilst on-duty they believed they were justified in seeking to do so. Is this another example of Big brother or a useful service?
4 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Another use of GPS tracking

If it is big brother then it's big brother 'spying on big brother.
Personally I see it as a good idea especially if an officer is attacked and disabled.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

It does make sense and I am hoping that work will introduce the Skyguard system for when I am lone working. It is reassuring to know that if their is a problem then someone knows exactly where you are at all times.
jmd
Grafter

when I was in [paid] work at JC+ we were issued with individual pendants that meant that if we were attacked by one of unhappy customers we pressed the button on it.  The securityperson would then know where we were attacked and who we were.  Not sure how they knew this - though apparently it linked with the CTV.
I always forgot to wear mine as it played havoc with my digital hearing aids - I had a constant buzz from them! But then I never got attacked.
The thing was that if anyone had been attacked - all the securityperson could do was tell the assailant to move away - they were not allowed to touch them.  That was up to the police when they arrived.
alanb
Grafter

If it turns out the same way as some recent ideas to tag and track ex-offenders by satellite, they may as well save their money.
Though I do like the thought of public servants being subjected to invasions of privacy during their working day just as the rest of us have our phone calls and car movements logged. If they kick back hard enough, it might give our idiot masters another reason to think again about the identity register and ID cards.