cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another submarine cable cut in Middle East.

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Another submarine cable cut in Middle East.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7222536.stm

New cable cut compounds net woes 

The first cut caused widespread disruption to net services
A submarine cable in the Middle East has been snapped, adding to global net problems caused by breaks in two lines under the Mediterranean on Wednesday. 

In the 'cold war' days I believe trans-Atlantic cables used to be damaged when the Russians went looking for them after initial laying. The idea was to be able to disrupt communications in the event of a conflict.
11 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Another submarine cable cut in Middle East.

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well mebby the British firms will think long and hard about bring back the call centres jobs back to England.  Wink
James
Grafter

Wishful thinking sadly Sad
They've done it to decrease costs inolved and I doubt that they'll be bringing support back to the UK based on something that can be fixed.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Jameseh,
In the 'cold war' days I believe trans-Atlantic cables used to be damaged when the Russians went looking for them after initial laying. The idea was to be able to disrupt communications in the event of a conflict.

I repeat what I said on 02/02/08
This may not be just to do with the internet or call centre traffic.
Don't you think there are probably a large number of circuits which are used for other purposes?.
Governments have interests other than emails etc.
James
Grafter

I'm not entirely sure what, if any relevance that has to do with what I said.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

James,

I was originally talking about cables being damaged. In the case of a conflict a few hours would be significant to the participants.
It was really nothing to do with call centres in India.
I'm sorry; my original comment was a serious one.
Bob
James
Grafter

Sorry Bob.
I was merely replying to Gary's comments regarding off shore call centres.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

James,
There is no problem at all.
See you in the air raid shelter.
regards,
Bob
scootie
Grafter

call centres will not come bac to england as all they had to do was route there voip down a different pipe line few hours to get bac up an running. regrads over seas call centres yes can be hard to understand them but how many of us can speak more than the english lang plus every time i get a over sea call centre i find they r very kind and not rude like alot of english centres plus some glasgow centres i phone i cant understand.
so stop moaning about things that wont bring the world to end try moaning about bush and his war that before he went to war with iraq they gave the people that was to make sure the country ran like clock work after the army had finshed blowing everythin up just 60 days to plan a countries future.
as to undersea cables we can put a man on the moon surley sum one can come up with a way of protecting the cable.
mcgurka
Grafter

No, I disagree. Offshore centers for me are rude, un-understandable, completely useless and totally scripted. I may as well speak to a machine. If you think all offshore centers are rosy, then give 1and1 or virgin media a call. Lets see how you get on there.
Its gotten to the stage now that I pick companies, based on where their call center is!