cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another standards grouphas lost touch with reality

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Another standards grouphas lost touch with reality

"Broadband providers may have to ensure at least half of customers can receive advertised top line speeds, under a proposed crackdown on consumers being misled." HOW?

This would lead to, "sorry we can't connect you since you are out side our range", if you would get <49% of the top speed and they already have 50% on lower speeds. Do they really think these things through?

Until we get fibre to the premises for us ALL then this will still exist, especially in rural areas, where long lines are the norm.

16 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Another standards grouphas lost touch with reality

Rural areas have the satellite option, but at a cost - so maybe that should be subsidised where it would be cheaper to have a dish rather than run those fibre cables. There was or is a system in place where under certain circumstances the installation cost would be paid for by the government, but it still left the customer with a much higher monthly payment so they should look reducing that as well. 

As for those promised line speeds, disingenuous does not even come near.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Trouble with satellite internet is the very long Ping times, they're so long you can forget having things like VoIP, streaming video services and online gaming...

Minivanman
Hero

How so, Sky and others seemed to manage OK........ as does GCHQ Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
RealAleMadrid
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I know Sky do satellite TV but I didn't think they have a Satellite internet service.Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I used to have satellite internet, complete with a cable run into a card in my pc. Real PITA it was.
Upload was via landline, download was upto 2Mb if I remember correctly. I was on an unlimited download, until they phoned me and said I used too much! And they were increasing my cost, so I told them where to shove there satellite feed.

But the real issue is UP TO line speeds, I used to get 64Mb down, but with the increase in users here it is down to 56Mb, on ADSL I could just about get 6Mb (1+ mile from the exchange), but I knew I wouldn't get 8Mb at the time. We never got adsl2 (or maybe we did AFTER fibre). If I was on a longer line then it would be much lower, but the problem has always been the OLD copper lines and crappy connections between us and the exchange.
Community Veteran

Satellite television and satellite telephony is a bit different to satellite internet, especially considering that television is one-way and telephony is via multiple low earth orbit satellites...

The problem is the distances involved, between your dish and the satellite is about 40,000 miles, plus another 40,000 (give or take depending on the uplink location), and even with the signals travelling at the speed of light, the time between the packets being generated to arriving at their destination is quite large, so servers that require a quick response tend to drop the connection if the Ping isn't received fast enough, meaning limited access to the web.

Then of course there's clouds, no, not the online storage, the big floaty things in the sky, those can make it even more difficult to get a constant, reliable and fast signal because of lost packets and re-transmissions to send those packets again, slowing things down even more, sky makes it perfectly obvious when a light wisp of cloud crosses the path between the dish & satellites resulting in your channels conking out...

So, satellite broadband is one of those thing that is only useful where you actually need internet access, rather than want it, just don't expect it to be like having land-based broadband...

Minivanman
Hero

Well I guess you are right, but having installed more sky dishes than I can shake a stick at not to mention a few for the internet, I encountered very few if any problems with customer complaining. Anyways, amazingly Open Reach with their 'Light Source' van have just turned up so even without that dish, things are looking up around here Thumbs Up

As for those satellites, that signal I seem to recall has at source the power of a 40w bulb - so yet another amazing fact! 

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

As for those satellites, that signal I seem to recall has at source the power of a 40w bulb - so yet another amazing fact! 

Shame it's not right... Funny

Modern satellites can be quite powerful, pulling up the info on Astra 2D, retired in 2013, it has 1600 Watts of transmission power, a smidge more than 40 watts, though there is an analogy of a dish trying to see a satellite being equivalent of a human trying to see a 40 watt lightbulb at 40,000 miles way...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

But one again , they have forgotten to mention anything about Upload speed Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Hero

@twocvbloke

"Shame it's not right... "Funny

Well it's what Sky guys at training told us! 

Maybe I did not have my listening ears on that day Wink

Community Veteran

Yeah I wouldn't listen to what a sky monkey says about satellite technologies, they're just trained to sling up an undersized dish to access hundreds of waste-of-airspace channels, not to know what actually goes on with the technology behind the stuff they're installing... Crazy

Back in the very, very early days, when "SKY" used capital letters for their name, and were a part-time single-channel operation on the Astra satellite in the 80s, then the power of the satellites was quite weak, but since then advances in technology, such as solar power, batteries, transmitters and digital multiplexing, have all made things a bit more advanced than a sky monkey would understand... Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

Well I have to admit they recruited all sorts into their ranks but I'd trained as a TV engineer under the old C&G 222 RTEB courses. Five years day release, and now about as much use as chocolate teapot.... or an ashtray on a motorbike! 

Sky were a terrible outfit to work for though so I went self employed soon after joining. 

Community Veteran

It's easy to set up a dish anyway, drill a few holes in a wall, mount the dish up, use the Dishpointer app on a phone, point the dish, use a meter to tweak the signal strength to optimal, tighten up the bolts and everything's done...

Of course, it's getting into multi-LNB, DiSEqC switching, motorised multi-receiver setups where it gets interesting... Grin

Minivanman
Hero

Dish pointer app?

That's a new one on me, but then I've been out of the game for some time now. Smiley