cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another "morally wrong or just lucky" dilemma

Fixes: 123

Another "morally wrong or just lucky" dilemma

Screwfix sells everything for £34.99 after a price glitch on its website
Screwfix customers bagged lawnmowers, costly drills and other expensive hardware for just a fraction of their usual cost overnight after a price glitch on the website reduced the cost of everything to just £34.99.

Eagle-eyed shoppers who spotted the glitch put in their orders in the early hours of the morning, and chose 'click and collect' so they could pick up their goods with their local stores opened at 7am this morning.

I can understand when there may be a small difference in actual and web price which may not be obvious but items that normally cost over £1000 being sold for a fraction of the price with no hint of a sale being advertised is obviously a mistake.
It seems that ScrewFix is honouring the sales to those who already collected their items but not the rest.
I don't think I would be able to rest at night having knowingly bought something priced so low in error.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Another "morally wrong or just lucky" dilemma

Quote from: Mav
It seems that ScrewFix is honouring the sales to those who already collected their items but not the rest.

Not much they can do about it once the sale has been completed and the customer has left. Legally a contract has been fulfilled.
Tesco were on dodgy ground a month or two back when they'd been selling stuff cheap online and taking payments and then refusing to honour it.
Once the retailer has agreed the price, asked you for it and you've paid for it.. well they're on weak ground. If you've then actually left with the goods then they've got no leg to stand on really.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

if you receive a confirmation of order email they have no choice but to honour the transaction at the price agreed upon.......
Littlewoods fell foul of that ruling a few years ago when they advertised a 2+3 seat calf leather sofa (real) for £299 instead of its actual price of £2990, so 1000 people got a pair of sofa's with a massive discount curtsy of a listing error on there website (I know cos I was one of them)
prior to that Kodak messed up the price of there camera and lost more than a million pounds when forced to honour all the sales (even though sales had been so high they had run out of UK stock)
its not the first time a company that automatically processes orders has made the error of sending confirmation emails immediately after the thank you for your order request email and if they refuse to honour the remainder of sales they can be had up under the sale od goods act, despite the terms and conditions that screw fix has posted on its website stating otherwise!
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I found a very high grade CCTV camera (metal mickey) on one website advertised for £0.00.
I was very tempted to try ordering thinking I could fall back on the contract thing.. until I realised that being £0.00 I'd effectively not made a financial purchase lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
x47c
Grafter

The T&C's of all on-line stores (that have got any sense anyway) read that the contract is formed when the goods are dispatched.
Not when they take payment or issue a order receipt email.
Screwfix are legally correct.
Orders dispatched/collected - Screwfix has to pick up the tab for their error.
As for the rest.....its up to the firm whether for PR purposes they wish to honour the purchase.  For a small number of marginal errors I would guess companies will do that.  Where there a large number of gross errors that are obvious to any reasonable person then I would expect the firms to tell the customer to take a running jump.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: x47c
The T&C's of all on-line stores (that have got any sense anyway) read that the contract is formed when the goods are dispatched.
Not when they take payment or issue a order receipt email.
Screwfix are legally correct.
Orders dispatched/collected - Screwfix has to pick up the tab for their error.
As for the rest.....its up to the firm whether for PR purposes they wish to honour the purchase.  For a small number of marginal errors I would guess companies will do that.  Where there a large number of gross errors that are obvious to any reasonable person then I would expect the firms to tell the customer to take a running jump.
yet the unfair contracts ruling clearly states that's not legal, the contract to supply is only entered into once a confirmation of order has been issued at which point the company is legally obliged to dispatch the product, they don't send out confirmation emails until after the payment has been confirmed so unless for reasons of supply they are unable to provide the product at the price agreed upon (which could constitute a banned practice under DSR's) they are contractually obliged to supply the product because they made a mistake in their system is not classed as a good and proper reason for denying customers the products particularly where they have allowed others to receive the items,
the only legally compliant actions would of been to either deny all collections or to allow all collections, allowing some but denying others breaks there own terms and conditions of sale as advertised on their website
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

The statement in Amazon's notification of order states
This e-mail is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order and your contract to purchase these items is not complete until we send you an e-mail notifying you that the items have been dispatched to you.
nanotm
Pro

and that's only legal because amazon doesn't debit your card until dispatch, ScrewFix however takes the money immediately which means they legally entered into a contract but try to claim otherwise with technically illegal terms and conditions posted on there website, end of the day they will loose any lawsuits against them from retail (none trade) customers but maybe it will inspire greater regulation to stop the unfair practices being used by many e-tailers in screwing customers with mispricing, oh as for not demanding people return the goods they supplied under the missprice, that's the nail that sinks them because they could legally do that and refuse to honour all sales agreements, but not doing it means they are acting illegally in refusing the remainder
Tesco go hammered for the same thing in dec 2012