Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another quango for the broadband users to pay for

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Another quango for the broadband users to pay for

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article5607744.ece
An additional charge for broadband use will be proposed by ministers today as part of a plan to stamp out music and film piracy.
Lord Carter of Barnes, the Communications Minister, will propose the creation of a quango, paid for by a charge that could amount to £20 a year per broadband connection. The idea will be at the heart of the Digital Britain Green Paper to be unveiled by ministers, which includes plans to create jobs by boosting broadband take-up.
The agency would act as a broker between music and film companies and internet service providers (ISPs). It would provide data about serial copyright-breakers to music and film companies if they obtained a court order. It would be paid for by a levy on ISPs, who inevitably would pass the cost on to consumers.
13 REPLIES
techguy
Grafter

Re: Another quango for the broadband users to pay for

If this passes into law and gets levied by ISPs I shall give some very serious thought to going offline and just using the 'net at work.
A more intelligent solution if they  must impose such a nonsense is for P2P users to be charged an additional fee although with a lot of the programs being adapted to use encryption detectiing such traffic amongst legitimate secure traffic such as ecommerce or banking transactions will be more and more difficult.
Very stupid move when the government is trying to get everyone connected, if net enthusiasts like ourselves dont like the idea, what are technophobes going to think?
Community Veteran

the rotten swine are just looking to collect more in taxes.  they couldn't care less about p2p.  they just want more money.
techguy
Grafter

I think its more the music industry than government on this one to be honest.
The charts are full of rubbish that sounds the same so would you really pay for it?
StickyMick
Grafter

*Thinks* I wonder if they need a minister for ministers?
techguy
Grafter

They need to get rid of the whole stinking lot.
Thunderclap
Grafter

THIS IS PROVIDED FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY

This is a smiley  Grin
His NGO costs the tax payer £350,000 a year, of which £183,000 is his market rate fee.
What does he do? Frick knows, but he's certainly in charge of it. For 31 days a year.
And for the other days, he recommends other smiley's for jobs on other NGO's. Like these.
Cheesy Cool Kiss Smiley
His Eton School buddies are very happy with their salaries. Despite having to work for upto 10 days a year.
And here is another smiley  Cry 
He used to work at Woolworth's. For national minimum wage.
Wonder why people think politicians are a bunch of corrupt criminals?
techguy
Grafter

Got to hand it to the French, they take to the streets and strike if they aren't happy with something whereas here we just lie down and take it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I was about to say, lets all move to France, but I'll just need to check up on whether the french ISP's are any good (have to speak to sister-in-law if they've still got a connection after recent bad weather) and whether the food and wine is still cheaper (I know it's better!)  Wink
techguy
Grafter

A colleague of mine has a small house in a village over there and you can get 100 Mbps broadband in rural areas.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Just don't move to Eire
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/707/1050707/eircom-betrays-subscribers
According to the agreement, known as "three strikes and you're out", Eircom will issue two warnings to customers that the music companies allege downloaded copyrighted music files using peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing protocols. Upon receiving the third complaint, Eircom will shut off the user's Internet connection - without a court order or any right to appeal.
The recording companies won't have to provide any proof to substantiate their accusations against alleged file-sharers. The ISP's subscribers won't have any right to contest the media firms' accusations either with Eircom or in a court of law. They will be convicted by default, with no presumption of innocence, no evidence needed, no due process of law, none of that.
It's an invitation to abuse, obviously unfair, wholly disproportionate and absolutely outrageous.
techguy
Grafter

So if I disliked someone in Ireland I could say I'm an independent record label and my material has been shared illegally by Eircom subscribers.
Thats a bit bad but doesn't surprise me much as they are a bit backward when it comes to tech, Eircom I mean, not Ireland, heck when I was over there in 2001 dial-up was state of the art!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: techguy
Got to hand it to the French, they take to the streets and strike if they aren't happy with something whereas here we just lie down and take it.

I know, I'd love to see them try to introduce a Congestion Tax in Paris Grin
techguy
Grafter

Someone would have more chance of getting a turnout for a free barbecue in St. James' Park than for a national strike in defence of our rights.