cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another photographer problem with police overstepping the mark (apparently)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Another photographer problem with police overstepping the mark (apparently)

Sky News
"A few minutes later... a policeman walked in and approached me, so they must have been tracking me on the CCTV.
"He said he'd received a complaint a man matching my description was taking pictures of children and wanted my name and address.
"I told him it was ridiculous because it was my own son. He then started asking me what I was doing in Sunderland, asked for my name and address and told me he had the right to delete my pictures.

Whereas from http://www.met.police.uk/about/photography.htm it states
Officers do not have the power to delete digital images or destroy film at any point during a search. Deletion or destruction may only take place following seizure if there is a lawful power (such as a court order) that permits such deletion or destruction.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Another photographer problem with police overstepping the mark (apparently)

Again, some busy bod no-good security guard trying to justify his pay !.. and of course the policeman who was detailed off to "assist" had to back up the "security officer"...
So, parents, next time you want to go out with your kids, take their birth certificates with you, and your marriage certificate, and any other ID you may have... because when the police/security officer says "you can`t prove it is your son/daughter" ... you just get out the relevant documents, then tell him you are going to sue him for defamation of character, and anything else that comes to mind...
Oh yes, and DONT shout at policemen.... they will always come back to you and threaten, (or even ) arrest you for "breach of the peace"... It happened to me once, in another incident, (parking not photography) .... it is their "standard back up" threat to regain control of any situation.
Note.... you are not being arrested for the original "offence" but the "offence" of raising your voice in a public place, hence the "breach of the peace".... (the original "offence" may still be arrestable, or forgotten, depending on what happens next ...... )
Just had a thought.... how do I prove that I am not a paedo when taking pics of my Great Grand Daughter? (now age 3 )  difficult to prove that kind of relationship on the spot....
itsme
Grafter

I got threaten with Breach of the Peace when I asked a policeman what is the law on cycling on the pavement and why he did not do anything when a cyclist rode past him on the pavement.
David_W
Rising Star

I usually find with police officers it's always the best policy to be informal and polite at all times, instead of looking at them as a copper look at them as just another person who happens to be wearing a uniform.  Police officers do a very difficult and demanding job at the best of times, they have no idea if the person who's starting to get aggressive with them has a knife, there is the potential for every confrontation they have to turn violent, and they are very aware of that.
In a situation like that, when the officer came along I'd smile and state that I was taking a photo of my child on a ride, and then offer to show the policeman my images.  I would not become defensive about the situation, think about it, you're talking to a person trained (hopefully) to detect when something isn't right, and a person going on the defensive about taking photos of children may flip their switch and prompt them to investigate, which of course would make a person more defensive and start to raise their voice which the policeman doesn't want.
The vast majority of coppers are really good people who are trying to cope with a system that has introduced something like 400 new laws per year or something silly like that, they are not lawyers so do not know "the law" as such, they follow guidelines to the best of their abilities.  When they come up to chat to you about taking photos of kids, you have no idea what they have been up to that week or month, it could so easily be that a few days ago in a similar situation, it wasn't a relative taking pictures and at looking at the phone/camera they saw images that no sane person would want to see.
So shutter, if you were out with your Great Grandchild and a police officer came over and asked what you were doing, tell him/her, you're being a proud great-grandparent, show them the pictures (and any others you have) and just have a conversation with them normally, instead of thinking of them as a copper, think of them as someone who's interested in what you're doing and is asking about it, when the police officer can see nothing wrong they will move along, it's only people who make a fuss about what they are doing that will spike a police officers curiosity giving them cause to investigate further.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: dgwebb
The vast majority of coppers are really good people who are trying to cope with a system that has introduced something like 400 new laws per year or something silly like that, they are not lawyers so do not know "the law" as such, they follow guidelines to the best of their abilities. 

Does that man that now a defendent can use ignorance of the law as a defence?
Approximately 40 years ago I got stopped by a policeman because I did not have  a back brake fitted, just a front brake. The conversation went back and forth with me saying the bike did not require a back brake and the policeman saying it did. Eventually he radioed the station and it was confirmed that I was right. Any cyclist reading this forum know why the bike did not need a back brake?
Community Veteran

Was it one of those bikes where peddling backwards applied a hub brake
itsme
Grafter

No
Community Veteran

In which case was it a fixed hub (no over run) so stopping pedalling stopped the rear wheel - and if you weren't careful knackered your ankles  Grin
sweafe
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Quote from: dgwebb
The vast majority of coppers are really good people who are trying to cope with a system that has introduced something like 400 new laws per year or something silly like that, they are not lawyers so do not know "the law" as such, they follow guidelines to the best of their abilities. 

. Any cyclist reading this forum know why the bike did not need a back brake?

i used to use my shoe as a back brake  Grin
i used to ride BMX and brakes where just added weight  Roll eyes
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I don't see the need to kow-tow to our supposedly "public servants" ie the police.
If they are wrong, they should be told so, in no uncertain terms - why do you think they are treated with suspicion by large sections of the community?
BTW, AFAIK etc A bicycle with a fixed wheel doesn't require any brakes. Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: A

BTW, AFAIK etc A bicycle with a fixed wheel doesn't require any brakes. Smiley

Nearly correct http://www.ekmpowershop6.com/ekmps/shops/pcycles/tifosi-pista-cx-track--road-legal-fixed-196-p.asp
Included in the price of this £549.95 build is the front brake and lever - which can be removed complete in seconds with a 4mm and 5mm allen key. Giving you a bike you can use on the track, and also out on the road - with the front brake making it road legal.