cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another pension question

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Another pension question

If your birthday is on a Wednesday from what day does your  State Pension start ? Some people have told me it starts the same week but others have said it only starts on the Monday after your birthdays, in this instance you would lose 5 days.
Can someone who has recently started claiming the state pension clarify the position for me.
Thanks
5 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: Another pension question

Mine started the Monday after my birthday which was on a Tuesday!  So I lost out in that way but unfortunately you cannot change your birthday - this was 4 years ago and I assume the same ruling applies! Sad
My occupational pension actually started on my birthday.
nadger
Rising Star

Similarly any increase in State Pension applies from first Monday after start of tax year ( 6th April) so, if like me, you take yours four weekly, in arrears, you normally end up with some at old rate and some at new rate.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks for that.
What had me confused is that my wife got her pension approx 4 years ago and her birthday was in the middle of the week but she got the pension for that week on the monday but it seems things have changed and you now get it a week in arrears.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I think it is to do with the surname  Both Me and SWMBO get ours on Friday
nadger
Rising Star

SWMBO gets pension weekly on Mondays and I get my 4 weekly arrears payments on a Friday.
Ultimately, unless one is really skint, it doesn't matter much.