cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another one for the paranoid - or just worried about Big Brother spying

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Another one for the paranoid - or just worried about Big Brother spying

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7520941/Budget-2010-HMRC-officers-to-get-powers-...
Officers will be allowed to intercept any suspicious mail anywhere in the country and open it before it is delivered, under plans being drawn up by the Government to amend the Postal Services Act.
The measure is billed as a bid to crack down on tobacco smuggling. However, a HM Revenue and Customs spokesman said the powers could be applied much more widely.
Currently, Royal Mail staff have a legal right to intercept suspicious letters and parcels in mail centres and sorting offices and pass them to HM Revenue and Customs.
Tax inspectors must then notify the addressee and agree a mutually acceptable time to open the letter or parcel, before deciding whether to take any enforcement acdtion.
However the Government is now proposing to remove the legal requirement which will now allow inspectors to open suspicious post without asking permission first.
Treasury documents say: “HMRC will no longer be required to notify the addressee and invite them to attend before such packets can be opened”.
3 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Another one for the paranoid - or just worried about Big Brother spying

The Post Office and HMRC did not ask my permission first to open a gifted wrapped parcel containing cigars. The first I knew about it was when I received a bill for duty which I paid and after waiting and chasing HMRC for delivery over a three month period was informed that the cigars were distroyed. The HMRC Officer told me to put a claim in for the return of the duty and the cost of the cigars which I did and it took another couple of months to get the duty back and was told that no compensation for the cigars was due as I should not have been offered to pay duty as the policy was now to distroy.
This was around the time when the ruling in the European Courts went against a Dutch person who used the agruement that internet purchases of tobacco within th EC were the delivery has been arranged by the buyer should be classed as the same as if the buyer brought the goods in themselves and no additional taxes are payable.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I believe that they ALWAYS had this right with goods coming in from abroad, they have to pass through customs first, but this is INTERNAL UK mail that they can now check/open/destroy.
Fixes: 123

How long before Royal Mail use this as the excuse for any/all lost mail?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still