Season 1 Episode 1 of 3
New series

BBC 2  21:00 TO 22:00
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Another one for Sprite !

Cheers  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Well that was a good show! I saw it the other week I think but i think it was bbc3 or 4 that showed it. I'm looking forward to the next episode!
Anyone else noticed how many railway programs are cropping up on tv lately? Even on TVguide.co.uk they railway journeys show with Mr Portillo they have a rating of 9/10 so are clearly still popular!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah... I enjoyed it too!... and although I don`t like Portillo, I do like to watch the series.
Community Veteran

The problem I found with Portillos railway journeys is that is doesn't actualyl concentrate much on the railways themselves. You get 30 seconds of railway footage between each stop on his journey and then he finds a town with a boat. He always ends up on a boat somewhere crossing a river or going to an island.. but he'll always end up on a pesky boat. Naturally the boat gets far more attention than the railways and so I often end up switching over for a few minutes before switching back.
For a show thats about railway journeys he doesn't do the railways a lot of justice IMO. That woman from BBC news (Can't remember her name - the one Jezza was admiring in the lift in an episode of top gear) did a better job with her show on railway walks which followed footpaths along old railway lines.
Community Veteran

Julia Bradbury, did railway walks....
Actually, most of Portillo`s journeying is not "about" the railways, but more about "my Bradshaws Guide, tells me........."  (he must say that at least 20 times per prog ! ! !..
Community Veteran

Yeah thats her! I got muddled up and thought it was the news woman lol.
You're right about his stupid guide.. that also winds me up no end but the last few episodes I've watched he is always on a bl**dy boat andit drives me mad!!
Boats float on water.. so what?! Sure they're slightly interesting but no where near as much as trains. I can't explain it and I don't think anyone else really can or ever will but they're extremely fascinating.
Community Veteran

But without the guide, he would not have a program...
I always think he looks like some kind of vicar, travelling in civvies....  especially when he is "reading" his Bradshaws......    Cheesy
Community Veteran

LOL!