cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another new forum game...?

Fixes: 125

Another new forum game...?

Frequently Windows updates require a reboot but it seems you can't always tell of that's the case as I've often read 'may require a reboot' and it doesn't and not seen those words and it's been needed.
After last week's updates a reboot was required but I have too much going on and haven't wanted to yet so have been postponing at the rate of 4 hours at time since then - that's a week! Cheesy
I hope to reboot at the weekend.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Another new forum game...?

So,..... are you leaving your computer/laptop on 24/7 or are you actually working on it 24/7  ? ?    Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I never bother with updates.. IMO from past experience MS end up making a pigs ear of it and then if you're lucky the system won't boot.
Oh and yes.. like mav i leave mine running 24/7 now too. I can't be bothered with all this startup and shut down business.. it seems to take far too long plus win7 is rock solid for stability so not much point really.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Yeah, mine is on 24/7. Occasionally I'll let the poor thing have a doze. The only time it goes off is when there's a power cut.
I tend to have a look around here and other places to see if there any reported issues with updates before performing them.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I run Windows 8.1 on a silent PC and it updates 4 > 5 times a week without a specific request to reboot, but it does start up from power on in about 4 seconds so I cannot complain.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
I never bother with updates..

That's the first thing I do with any PC I have. Turn off updates and backups.
If it works fine that's it. Why mess it up.
Community Veteran

Precisely!
I did once go through a phase of installing updates. it went on for hours, wanted countless restarts, then further updates, more restarts... 4 hours later i think it finished and for what? - I still couldn't use it to takeover the world so what was the point?  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

That's true, but without the right updates someone could take over your PC!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: 7up
I never bother with updates...

Don't waste your money on firewall or anti-virus software. An unpatched PC connected to the internet is an open invitation to hackers to take it over and either steal your personal details or to launch attacks (tied to your IP address) on other people.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Well what can i say? I have a firewall on the router and another firewall on windows... i really don't worry much.
As for stealing my personal details, what details? - They have to be on the machine for them to be of any use and if they're not there.... Some people are far too trusting with keeping their details on a computer.
I also don't open attachments in emails, only use webmail and follow the other normal safeguards that many people don't these days.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Do you purchase via a web browser? ....
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

nope!