Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another new coin

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Another new coin

A new £1 coin is coming next year. It will have twelve sides, as did the three penny bit of pre-decimal days. My first reaction was that perhaps the MInt was hinting at the pound's purchasing power nowadays. It's more expense for shop owners; more work for the manufacturers!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Another new coin

The new coin will be 20% lighter to reflect the value of the pound following the Brexit referendum. Roll eyes

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Luzern wrote:

... It's more expense for shop owners; more work for the manufacturers!

... and more work for the forgers!

We've probably all handled forged £1 coins, usually without noticing it.

I remember I used to see quite a few variations in a job I had many years ago, one of the worst being a simple metal disc with a plastic moulded coating of the 'heads & tails' detail which was actually flaking off!

2u2me
Aspiring Pro

You would have though if it was  to celebrate Brexit would it not be 11 sided?, or is it to celebrate returning?

Minivanman
Hero

Luzern wrote:

A new £1 coin is coming next year. It will have twelve sides, as did the three penny bit of pre-decimal days. My first reaction was that perhaps the MInt was hinting at the pound's purchasing power nowadays. It's more expense for shop owners; more work for the manufacturers!

Well it's certainly worth a heck of a lot less than the old threepence. We used to be able to buy a bag of chips for fourpence, but now?  Crazy2

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

RobPN wrote:

No probably about it - apparently about 1 in 30 of the £1 coins in circulation is a forgery.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Been waiting for this coin for the past 5 or 6 years, it's about time the £1 coin and all its fakes were replaced, getting tired of receiving coins that are rejected by self-service machines in supermarkets (and annoyingly, most of the coins I get are FROM the self-service machines!!!! Lazy people at tesco just dump coins from the other tills into the machines without even checking them for fakes!)...

Minivanman
Hero

Quiz: How much do you know about the pound in your pocket?

Only one out of six, so it's back of the class for me!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37828210

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

4/6  Lips are sealed

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

I would think a lot of things will have to be changed.

Many items will need any references to the EU removed.

Minivanman
Hero

billnotben wrote:

"I would think a lot of things will have to be changed.

Many items will need any references to the EU removed"

Well not really, coins with the King's head on were not removed after he popped his clogs, we even had them with Queen Victoria on them before decimalization - which was when the price of a bag of those chips shot up!  Wink

Community Veteran

True but they were our Kings and Queens.

Just as well we're leaving or we might have ended up with Kaisers heads on our coins.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

198kHz wrote:

4/6  Lips are sealed

Yup !..... that is about the correct value of the pound in your pocket, today ! !  Cheesy

Fixes: 123

Looking forward to the new pound coin as always felt the pre-decimal coinage was more interesting.

Still miss saying things like 3 shillings and sixpence ha'penny and you also got the feel for the cost which I don't think has been there post-decimalisation Knuppel

Plus all the other interesting coins and notes like the thru'penny bit, the silver sixpence (nearly swallowed a few of those from the Xmas puds), half crown, crown, 10 bob note, etc.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

jelv wrote:

RobPN wrote:

No probably about it - apparently about 1 in 30 of the £1 coins in circulation is a forgery.

Wonder what 1/30th of pound coins represents of all money in circulation. Not much I'd have thoughtUndecided.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.