cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another motor thread

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Another motor thread

Since we're kicking around a couple of car threads. After 108k the only inside upholstery problem I have is the drivers seat has worn at approximately hip level as I get into the car and rub over it. The material has worn through.
The classic repair is a piece of shiny Gaffer tape over the offending area, which in my opinion looks worse than the worn area, frankly I'd rather leave it as it is.
Anybody know of a repair outfit that can deal with this type of problem. Short of replacing the entire seat.
N.B. The well known Chips Away have an upholstery service, but are mainly concentrated on leather or vinyl repairs, but not fabric.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro

Re: Another motor thread

Have you thought of using an after market heated seat accessory, that may cover up the wear & tear ?
Unless the damage is on the side of the seat.
Or even just a Car Seat Cover, I'm sure they must come in various materials..
A visit to a Car scrapyard may produce an inexpensive replacement seat in better condition ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

A visit to your local scrap dealer should come up with a "decent" second user seat.... might be worth investigating to see if the passenger and driver seat are exchangable.... so you can get a passenger seat and fit it on the drivers side... some cars do... some don`t... ( mine don`t cos it has a lever attached for height adjustment...)...
Community Veteran

Thanks gents. Sadly its negative for both options.
a) the damage is on the edge, just about where the edge piping roll is, either side of it.
b) the front seats are not inter changeable, their reclining knobs would then be on the wrong side, plus the drivers seat has an inflatable lumber support half way up the right side.
both) Toyota's are pretty rare in scrap yards, and most that are, are more advanced mileage than mine is.
Seat covers are an option, I've used them in the past, but not for a very long time. My problem with them is that they look decent just after they're fitted and very soon after look very shabby, creased and loose. And, I've yet to see any that have cut-outs for reclining knobs and my case the lumber control. Maybe more modern types are better these day's.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 123

Quote from: Petlew
Seat covers are an option, I've used them in the past, but not for a very long time. My problem with them is that they look decent just after they're fitted and very soon after look very shabby, creased and loose. And, I've yet to see any that have cut-outs for reclining knobs and my case the lumber control. Maybe more modern types are better these day's.

SWMBO bought a set of seat covers for our Zafira last year but I insisted she didn't put one on the driver's seat for the very reasons you mentioned. Not sure if they had the cut outs for the reclining knobs as I've never checked them out.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If you have a "surgeons" needle.. ( bent half moon type).. you could always sew the seat cover to your existing seat around the bottom edge, and if you did a neat job, they would not crease up.. buying the more expensive seat covers with thicker, quality materials will also help.. if they have not got the holes already cut in them... you could use a very sharp knife and make appropriate slits for the bits !..
Fixes: 102

Community Veteran

That Dvorak, is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you

Fixes: 102

I can't vouch for them in any way shape or form - but hope it helps and they come to wherever you abide Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

They have an online estimate system, I only have to say no if the cost is outlandish.
I'll let you know.

Community Veteran

Quote from: dvorak
http://www.carmedic.co.uk/car-interior-repair/ ?

Received a reply from them. Sadly they repair fag burns and holes but not wear and tear. So thanks for trying dvorak, but its a non-starter. At least they replied quickly.