cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another life wasted, why do the police have to do this

Community Veteran

Another life wasted, why do the police have to do this

A driver was crushed to death in a freak accident today when a stolen 4X4 being chased by police careered across a motorway, flipped in the air and smashed into his car.

Another gung ho, police camera action, lets get the bad guy routine. Guess what, another innocent life wasted and a family devastated.
Why do the police have to do this. Ok the car was stolen, so what, the owner can claim off his insurance (the police will claim of the owners insurance if their cars get damaged chasing the stolen car).
What is the motive of the police? Is it to get the car back for the owner in one piece, well that didn't happen. Is it so the thief can be brought to justice and get full wieght of the law, i.,e. their community order or probation etc.
This is all wrong,
Full Article
100 REPLIES
randpwar
Grafter

Re: Another life wasted, why do the police have to do this

Here! Here!    I could not agree more
pierre_pierre
Grafter

a different slant on the story from the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/7513123.stm
try looking at some of the recent programs of how controlled stops work, and the large number of stolen cars, then us honest people who have insurance have to pay a lot of money for the cars that those yobs steal, some as young as 14.
Sorry but I wish some of them would hit trees and not cause us more problems.
Have a case currently here, at the time the story seemed peculiar, three youngsters died, some aspects of the story seemed strange, a) car from London, b) local car c) damage to tree on wrong side.  now the Court case, completely different story - still ongoing
original story
court case
Community Veteran

I understand your position, but let's face it, the person responsible, is the man who stole the car, and refused to stop.
John
Community Veteran

So if they had just let him go, the car is stolen... and recovered or burnt out, whatever.
But nobody would have died or been injured.
I notice in the article the police spokesman makes it clear the the four police cars had their blue lights on, which I presume makes everything ok
Community Veteran

Quote from: Santiago
So if they had just let him go, the car is stolen... and recovered or burnt out, whatever.
But nobody would have died or been injured.

Who can say? Where was he going next if left alone?
Motorways are presumably normally the safest place to do these "controlled stops" but this one obviously went horribly wrong.
The families involved all have my sympathy.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what happens when the Police dont stop them http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/7513118.stm
Community Veteran

Yes, nobody died
pierre_pierre
Grafter

very close though, a few more inches and both cases would have been different.
randpwar
Grafter

I do believe that it must be terribly hard to have your car stolen, I’m sure people that it happens to feel violated and I have great sympathy to those that it has happened to.  I hope that my car does not get stolen but if it does I would not want innocent people’s lives or livelihood being risked by a police chase. It just quite simply isn’t worth it!
Rob
Community Veteran

@pierre_pierre
Absolutely.
If the police had been chasing the Mercedes the 16 year old thief may have been going even faster and the family could well have been killed
Clearly criminals driving stolen cars around is a problem particularly youngsters who are not qualified drivers. Chasing them increases the risk of crashes and fatalities.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

a quote from my last report, no police involved  does that make you feel better, I dont  as they were injured
A baby and its parents were injured by falling debris when a car smashed into the bedroom of their Sunderland home.
They were asleep in their cottage on St Mark's Road when a Mercedes crashed through a wall, leaving a gaping hole.
The vehicle, along with a Vauxhall Vectra, was found abandoned at the scene. A number of men or youths were spotted running away.
A 16-year-old youth was arrested nearby on suspicion of failing to stop at the scene of an accident.
Community Veteran

I read the report you posted and I understand that police were not involved. It does not make me feel better. I don't think you understood my comment
pierre_pierre
Grafter

alright another one from tonight
Tonight on Look East - criticism at the nine month prison sentence handed out to a hit-and-run driver who left a grandmother for dead beside the road. 18 year old Kyler Jackson mounted the kerb and hit the woman as she walked towards her home in Ipswich in March this year. After the crash, Jackson fled the scene and tried to blame it on someone else. The next day he even watched football in a pub. Kevin Burch was in court.
Community Veteran

Pierre, I hope you don't think I am condoning stealing cars and causing accidents and hurting people because I am not.
My point is, chasing these people often makes the consequences worse.