cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another health warning - this time Ibruprofen

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Another health warning - this time Ibruprofen

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/846917/ibuprofen-pain-killer-people-more-at-risk-high-blo...

Delegates were told new research has revealed that ibuprofen – one of the most widely prescribed drugs in the world – increased blood pressure more than other non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

The over-the-counter tablet is often the choice for millions in the UK who suffer from the agony of arthritic pain every day.

Researchers at the University Heart Centre in Zurich studied a number of pain relief drugs, which included ibuprofen, naproxen and celecoxib and found a pronounced risk of increased blood pressure in the ibuprofen users, adding to the risk of heart disease and stroke.

So what did the paper actually say

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170828094844.htm

Patients were randomised in a 1:1:1 fashion to receive celecoxib (100-200 mg twice a day), ibuprofen (600-800 mg three times a day), or naproxen (375-500 mg twice a day) with matching placebos. The primary endpoint was the change from baseline in 24-hour ambulatory blood pressure after four months.

The investigators found that celecoxib decreased the average systolic blood pressure measured over 24 hours by -0.3 mmHg while ibuprofen and naproxen increased it by 3.7 and 1.6 mmHg, respectively. The resulting difference of -3.9 mmHg between celecoxib and ibuprofen was significant (p=0.009).

So as a normal systolic blood pressure is between 120 and 140 mmHg so are we really going to believe that an increase of that piddling amount is significant in terms of risk to the patient - words fail me

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Another health warning - this time Ibruprofen

And I rub it on anyway!

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Isn't over the counter ibruprofen only 200mg as well?  I know it can be prescribed stronger than that, but the express adds in the "over-the-counter" part as well.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Newspapers look for headlines and often select parts of a research paper that will make a good headline.

Quite common for newspapers to say something is good or not good for you only to report a short time later. some research that says just the opposite.

Not uncommon for much research to be funded by private firms who own the research work and only publish results that show their product in a favourable light.

Perhaps the firms themselves do some research into who will do research that shows them in a positive light ?

I bet there are research papers done in the past that show smoking does you no harm, perhaps even some good.!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

pjmarsh wrote:

Isn't over the counter ibruprofen only 200mg as well?  I know it can be prescribed stronger than that, but the express adds in the "over-the-counter" part as well.

You can buy the 400mg at Boots but you need to go to the pharmacy counter for it

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Thanks @Oldjim.  I was jut looking at the packet of a 22p pack from Tesco!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

22p? Last ones I bought from expensiveco were 35p for 16x 200mg tablets... Shocked

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

gleneagles wrote:

Newspapers look for headlines and often select parts of a research paper that will make a good headline.

Quite common for newspapers to say something is good or not good for you only to report a short time later. some research that says just the opposite.

Not uncommon for much research to be funded by private firms who own the research work and only publish results that show their product in a favourable light.

Perhaps the firms themselves do some research into who will do research that shows them in a positive light ?

I bet there are research papers done in the past that show smoking does you no harm, perhaps even some good.!

Ben Goldacre the epidemiologist covers all this in his Bad Science/Pharma books and his talks.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Since I was switched to Naproxen I am not allowed to take that anymore. But never when I was (supposed) to be on 6*800mg tablets a day previously (i only took it when necessary) I found it more of a total blocker than anything else. These days it just doesn't touch the arthritis pain. Naproxen and paracetamol for me.
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

I've had a pain in the neck for the last 30 years, Doc advised divorce but she feeds me too well.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.