cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another flight goes missing...(MS804)

Fixes: 125

Another flight goes missing...(MS804)

Egyptair flight MS804 has gone missing with 66 people on board.

I feel for the relatives and friends of all on boards.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

34 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Another flight goes missing...(MS804)

Makes me glad we never fly anywhere.

Not flown since we came back from Canada in 1978 - shows how things have changed as SWMBO and I went on flight deck of Wardair 747 coming back across Atlantic, Captain was stretching his legs so we asked and he said yes.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I am glad I don't fly to that part of the world anymore. Up till a couple of years ago I was working in Jeddah. Colleagues used to fly via Cairo, Ankera, Paris, Frankfurt etc for a cheaper ticket but I always flew to Heathrow direct. I suspect security at Paris has failed and there was a bomb on board 

Happy so stay at home now!

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I used to enjoy flying but these days there are so many planes dropping out of the air i'd quite happily give it a miss for the rest of my life.

There's always been air crashes and when you board a flight you do so knowing there is a slim chance of it happening.. but it seems to be getting worse (IMO) in the last few years.

I don't suppose planes becoming more complex with more parts to go wrong is helping either. IMO they need simplifying. Look at the radio controlled helicopter scene.. those machines are very complex with many linkages to the swashplate, tail rotor etc etc... then along comes the quadcopter and now anyone can fly.. it's simpler, safer (in some ways at least) and there is less to go wrong. Thats what needs to happen to airliners.

No doubt someone will poohoo my thoughts .. and then as usual it'll probably end up hapening..

Moons ago (around 18 years) I said that aircraft engines should be detachable so if they end up in flames they can be dropped... the person i said it too poohoo'd it saying you can't start dropping bits off planes in mid air etc.. the latest idea is now to eject the passenger compartment from a flying chassis and have it land safely with parachutes (it was on the DM's science pages a few weeks back).

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Community Veteran

March 2015 story Jim?

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

that was one Google threw up - there may be later ones

this gives a bit more information but again it stops at the end of 2014 http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

fatal%20accidents

Community Veteran

Funny.. I could have sworn it would be artmo coming along and posting that reassuring spin.

Community Veteran

If posting facts is classed as "spin" I will leave you to your opinion

Community Veteran

I was talking about the guardian article.. not your later post which wasn't there when i originally replied (but then turned up after i hit submit - SMF used to warn of this... pesky flaming lithium trash lol).

Community Veteran

Off Topic - yes a real pain in the butt isn't it

Community Veteran

I don't think it's an air safety issue. I'm more concerned that the fundamentalists such as Daesh are attacking Egypt by trying to destroy their tourist Industry as part of an economic war. 

First we had the Russian flight to Sharm El Sheik now a flight to Cairo from a major EU airport 

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Yes i would agree its most likely that a terrorist was the cause , they did say they sent a distress call though ?Huh

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Very sad news.

There are a number of ships and aircraft searching for the plane but what I cannot understand is why a beacon is not attached to the plane which releases itself when in contact with salt water and sends a signal out ?

True it would drift but computer predictions based on tides would indicate how far and in what direction it drifted and with a exact gps location on activation the exact spot the plane went down would be known.

True it will not save any lives but the sooner the black boxes are found the better as even they have a limited time before the signals they give out fail.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13