cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another fine mess?

Fixes: 124

Another fine mess?

Emerson Valley School plans fines for pupil lateness
Emerson Valley School in Milton Keynes plans to impose the £60 fixed penalty if children miss registration 10 times in a 12-week term.

If the fine is not paid within 21 days, it will increase to £120.

While I agree tardiness regarding school should not be acceptable is fining the parents really going to solve the issue?
Back in my day lateness was rewarded with corporal punishment or detention. Frequently the length of detention matched the amount of lateness. Now, I don't advocate corporal punishment for junior school children but it seems theer has to be some deterrent.
Is fining the way to go?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Another fine mess?

Seems reasonable if they also fine the same schools when teachers are missing or "Supply" teachers are used. This has a severe impact on the learning of our children.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
TORPC
Grafter

It should not be the parent fined but the kids fined and taken out of their pocket money, grounded in class during break times, bring back 2000 lines on the blackboard / PC > Whiteboard projector, with copy & paste disabled (Thou shalt not be late for school)
Volunteer them to help the dinner ladies etc
There you go no harm to a child during their punishment(s) Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I'd be surprised if the school even has the legal authority to dispense punishment in the form of a fine.
Something tells me that there is something not quite right with this idea..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

It's in force at my grandson's school but I haven't yet heard of any fines being imposed.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
RichAllen
Grafter

Don't worry, it probably won't happen once the Parents kick up a stink about it and the powers that be are forced to back down.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: 7up
I'd be surprised if the school even has the legal authority to dispense punishment in the form of a fine.
Something tells me that there is something not quite right with this idea..

Well turns out they can - as the council set it up  Roll eyes Even so I'd still be surprised if the council had a lawful authority to do so as it needs to be in an act of parliament. That said they could have a bylaw..
A spokesman for Milton Keynes Council said a borough-wide policy was in place, but the final decision on whether to issue the penalties lay with individual schools.
<snip>
The fixed penalty notices are backed by law and parents who do not pay can be prosecuted.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Problem kids need the teachers and parents to work in co-operation. Is this the way to get the parents co-operation?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

On the radio this week a man was interviewed after being fined for taking his children out of school to go on holiday.  He refused to pay so the fine was doubled. He still refused to pay so the council took him to court and won their case.
Fixes: 104

too right.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I find this quite extraordinary.  Crazy
My parents nearly always took us (me plus 2 siblings) on holiday during term time, having of course told the school we'd be away for 1 or 2 weeks.
Obviously they avoided exams etc. and it was never questioned; many other families did the same.
We had to do a bit of reading up etc. on return but no-one ever saw it as a problem and it certainly didn't do us any harm.
Fixes: 47

Parents are going to look at holiday prices and see a £300 price hike during school holidays or a £60 fine during term time......
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It would be far better if school holidays were cut down to a total (including offset days) of six weeks but allowing parents flexibility as to when they decide to take to take their kids on holiday. This would allow teachers seven weeks extra work time to train our children. The current system is far too inflexible and is based on a mis-match between agriculture and early industry when lids used to help out in the fields.
We used to take our kids on holiday in term time, but those trips were very educational  and life experience enhancing. The time wasn't spent on a beach, but activities like exploring active volcanoes, meeting local people in farms and industry, working with animals, but also seeing real poverty in shanty towns. We also made sure our kids did project work in terms of keeping full diaries and scrap books of events on their trips. So holidays can be as educational as sitting in a classroom with a bored supply teacher. Our kids are now University degree level trained adults who look back those holidays and their scrapbooks in fond memory
The current system of education is too inflexible, designed by default to suit the convenience of administrators and their spreadsheets.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
RichAllen
Grafter

If certain elements in the government's education department had their way, School would be 7 days a week.
Won't happen, for a lot of reasons.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: RichAllen

If certain elements in the government's education department had their way, School would be 7 days a week.

and you know this for a fact, ...... because........... ?