cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another financial question

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Another financial question

I'm on the state pension plus a small works pension.
This month I will have to pay £100 council Tax, £300 house & Contents insurance, £100 Gas & Electricity, Car Tax £260 Plus all the other essential items needed for daily living.
Of course I am not alone in this and many others are in a much worse position than me so the question is..............Where the b*****  H*** am I expected to find this money from !
21 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Another financial question

Why not see what you can save by dropping the contents insurance?
Assuming you are mostly at home, don't live on a flood plain etc you are unlikely to be claiming for anything.
Although in the winter months you might want to hunt out a unclosed library to sit in - so as to avoid extreme power bills.

Fixes: 47

@Gleneagles Have you applied for council tax discount. The form looks forbidding but most questions are not applicable.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 124

Even if you are not entitled to any discount ofr financial reasons you may be able to get a 10% discount if you have a disability which affects your mobility.
I arranged this for my mum. IIRC the council needed to visit as well as confirmation from your GP.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jmd
Grafter

Home and contents insurance should be cheaper if you get it from Age UK - I found them most reasonable.
Car tax seems very high so I would get a smaller car................... mine is only £30 per year.
I am also on State Pension plus occ pen and just about manage but do not have very much in way of saving so constantly hope that nothing disastrous happens!

I cannot get help with council tax as my income is just above threshold.  But mine is about £70 a month as only in a small house [along with the small car!]
Fixes: 47

I have to agree with Josie regarding Age UK as I saved £400 by switching to them for my Home and Contents insurance.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

The comparison sites are a good place to start when looking at insurance. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
£300 house & Contents insurance,

I gave age UK a shot they wanted £185 for £500k house and £50k contents which I thought was a bit steep.
Stayed with the 'Dog', my current rebuild house and contents cost me less than £100 for a year (1 payment), £1m rebuild, £75k contents excess of £250.
Fixes: 124

Saga is another company that bang on about cheaper insurance but I've always found their quotes to be higher than my renewals.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nadger
Rising Star

I see that Winter Fuel Payment of £200 will be in bank account on Monday. Not a good year for it to have been reduced.
Quite agree with Strat's advice regarding Council Tax and it's also worth checking on Pension Credit albeit that is means tested.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
I see that Winter Fuel Payment of £200 will be in bank account on Monday. Not a good year for it to have been reduced.

Hi Nadger.  Please don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of winter fuel payments, but why is this year a worse time to cut it than any other, considering the mildest winter so far that I can remember. I don't think we've had our heating on hardly at all so far.
Whenever I is see OAPs on the telly saying they're scared to turn the heating on, because of the cost, I can't help thinking, "What have they spent their winter fuel payment on then?"  I'd have thought that £200 would cover most people's heating bill for the winter.  A further question, if anyone knows.  Is the fuel allowance for a couple higher than for someone living on their own?  If so, why, since they're heating the place the same for one person or two? I'm sure there's a logical reason for it, I just don't know what it is.

John
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its £200 per person but max £200 per house, the over 75's get more
Community Veteran

Fair enough Pierre.  I think an extra £200 to help older people heat their homes is reasonable (considering there are the additional cold weather payments for the extra cold conditions). Personally I'd like to see some way of ensuring that it's used for fuel. I get the impression that many use it for other things and then don't have it to pay for gas and electricity bills.
But why is this year a worse one for cuts  than others?
John
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the actual payments table is here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/Benefits/BenefitsInRetirement/DG_179916
its a bit complicated.
the payment date is based on your surname, I havnt had a letter yet, as mine is near the end of the alphabet, so Nadger must be A
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I cant see the reason for this, does the money go to the care home?  (my mum is 96 and in a care home)
If both of the following apply:
    you live in a care home, an independent hospital or Ilford Park Polish Resettlement Home (and have done so for 12 weeks or more before the qualifying week)
    you don't get Pension Credit, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or income related Employment and Support Allowance
over 60 £100 over 80 £150