cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another early release terrorist goes on rampage

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Posts: 2,801
Thanks: 1,079
Fixes: 5
Registered: ‎17-05-2013

Re: Another early release terrorist goes on rampage


@artmo wrote:

If he was born in the UK as has been stated how would you have dealt with him?

.


@artmo 

Remove his British citizenship and let the country where he can claim citizenship through his ancestry have the pleasure of his company?  Roll_eyes

 

 

Edit:  added quote because of 'page-turn'

TeeGee
Pro
Posts: 201
Thanks: 111
Registered: ‎24-02-2009

Re: Another early release terrorist goes on rampage


@RobPN wrote:

Remove his British citizenship and let the country where he can claim citizenship through his ancestry have the pleasure of his company?  Roll_eyes


I was about to suggest this myself and the same applies to many others too.

 

Community Veteran
Posts: 4,046
Thanks: 532
Fixes: 7
Registered: ‎05-04-2007

Re: Another early release terrorist goes on rampage

UK or not, he would not have even put into prison in the first place. Just executed.

People can ask me do I support the death penalty, and to a degree I do. It certaily works, I've been to a country which does use it and it even says "Death Penalty for Drugs" on the landing card. Ok Signapore - noted. Tell you what people don't misbehave there.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion
Posts: 1,391
Thanks: 1,177
Registered: ‎21-11-2018

Re: Another early release terrorist goes on rampage

Seems that this guy was still distributing terrorist material while in prison, how can that happen ? That is given as the reason that he was followed after being released..... if authorities knew he was still a danger why the bell was he released....automatic release makes a mockery of our legal system.

Community Veteran
Posts: 19,363
Thanks: 455
Registered: ‎12-08-2007

Re: Another early release terrorist goes on rampage

There was no legal provision not to have released him as I understand it. Automatic release was the law under which he was charged and sentenced. Today the government has started a procedure to change the rules to increase the minimum time from a third to two thirds.

I suppose the authorities could have charged him again with distributing material inside prison. This would have allowed him to have his time inside extended.

You have to remember that however long a person is kept in prison he has to be released at some time, therefore you are only delaying the problem not solving it.

If a person has British citizenship, and no other, it cannot be removed as it is an international agreement a person cannot be made stateless.

.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion
Posts: 1,391
Thanks: 1,177
Registered: ‎21-11-2018

Re: Another early release terrorist goes on rampage


@artmo wrote:

 

If a person has British citizenship, and no other, it cannot be removed as it is an international agreement a person cannot be made stateless.


 That should be ignored in the case of terrorists - they would be executed out of hand in some countries, no wonder terrorists love the UK,  our 'Justice' system is run by Liberals,

Community Veteran
Posts: 9,933
Thanks: 1,746
Fixes: 11
Registered: ‎02-08-2007

Re: Another early release terrorist goes on rampage

@artmo 

Well I am not sure about your comment that a prisoner has to be released sometime......There are a number of people who have been locked up for life ie: Brady.

True it is not for terriorist offences but if some can be locked up for life no reason why this should not be extended to terriorists.

As for making someone stateless as its against international law, well we will soon have control over our own laws and if that means making innocent people safe why should we care about making convicted terriorists stateless...who can actually stop the government from doing so....

Drastic action needs to be taken to deal with this matter.

😀

Community Veteran
Posts: 9,933
Thanks: 1,746
Fixes: 11
Registered: ‎02-08-2007

Re: Another early release terrorist goes on rampage


@rEUnite wrote:

I am saddened to see this turned into a rant about immigration. Sudesh Amman was not an immigrant; he was born in Harrow, and linking immigrants with notions of them being ‘impossible to eradicate’ is simply stirring up the sort of fear and hatred which leads to the sort of genocidal ethnic cleansing the world has seen far to often in the relatively recent past.

I also question @Minivanman‘s rather strange claim that there’s is a religion ‘at complete odds to our own’. In Great Britain we subscribe to a range of different religions and none. Islam, Judaism, Hinduism and many others besides are as much ‘our’ religion as Christianity.

If we are to move forward in dealing with the threat of terrorism, we need to work together, not spread fear and hatred and division.


But the UK is a Christian country in the sense that it is based on Christian values, that is not to suggest that other religions do not share some of these same values, I am not a Christian as I believe in nothing but I am concerned that some Christian values are being weakened and values of other religions are being given greater priority.

A case in point is that it appears ok to insult Christianity in this country but try being critical of certain other religions or certain groups of people and see the threats that generates against you.

Also worth noting that even in this day and age Christians are being persecuted and even killed in some countries due to their beliefs.

Community Veteran
Posts: 19,363
Thanks: 455
Registered: ‎12-08-2007

Re: Another early release terrorist goes on rampage

@gleneagles  the protocol for not making someone stateless is International Law and our leaving the EU does not change this. Also if you try to deport someone the country you are wanting to deport to has to agree. What if that country refuses?

People being locked up for life is very rare. Most have a timed release. Maybe we need to look at the length of sentence available to courts. I agree with you on this.

An interesting phone-in on LBC today attempted to explain why this individual was sentenced to 40 months. The judge would have set the length of sentence (40 months) knowing the early release provision i.e. a third of sentence.

.

Community Veteran
Posts: 9,933
Thanks: 1,746
Fixes: 11
Registered: ‎02-08-2007

Re: Another early release terrorist goes on rampage

It's interesting to note though that some people actually make themselves stateless...

For example someone arrives in a country illegally and having destroyed their passport or indeed not even having one in the first place might claim they are from country X but without proof of citizenship country X could refuse them entry.

I guess the point I am trying to make is a person can make themselves stateless but we cannot make someone stateless.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion
Posts: 1,391
Thanks: 1,177
Registered: ‎21-11-2018

Re: Another early release terrorist goes on rampage


@gleneagles wrote:

It's interesting to note though that some people actually make themselves stateless...

For example someone arrives in a country illegally and having destroyed their passport or indeed not even having one in the first place might claim they are from country X but without proof of citizenship country X could refuse them entry.


The first thing most illegals do when heading for UK is use that stateless law to their advantage and destroy any paperwork,  as you say that renders them stateless, and the Liberals in UK jump up and down and call government everything under the sun when they try to repatriate them ( if someone on a plane flushes their passport down the toliet they can be returned to their last point of departure because it is that countries responsibility to check their papers and ensure they are allowed to disembark at their destination ).  People who arrive on boats,  sink the boats of the NGO's that pick then up 500 yards off French coast and ferry them to UK...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Posts: 11,183
Thanks: 3,610
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎04-11-2014

Re: Another early release terrorist goes on rampage

@rEUnite 

And I am saddened by ignorance

It might be ambiguous, but the UK is still predominatly a Christian country with a long history of it's values that have permeated our society and in doing so has shaped our culture, our tradition and our music. I might not subscribe to any of them myself, but like Brexit majority rules 

Do some research on numbers, in the meantime I'll help you out with the fact that Muslims represent only around 2% of the population yet because of political correctness and fears of being called a racist or Islamaphobic their influence extends way beyond that.

As others on this forum will know my wife is from an immigrant family and although not a Muslim she was not baptised shall I say into the same Church that as I was - which is ironic for an atheist as I was dipped in that font twice... long story.

I accept and embrace multiculturalism - it's what makes this country of ours what it is and for the better. What I will not accept is to be dictated to and be terrorised by a minority (or a majority come to that) of any religion - and let's not forget that the Queen bless her cotton socks is still head of The Church of England. 

Folks should get off their high horse. Crikey, the way some react you'd think I made mention of the Übermensch. I don't mind a bit of Wagner in small doses, but a follower of Nietzsche I am not.

 

 

 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Posts: 11,183
Thanks: 3,610
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎04-11-2014

Re: Another early release terrorist goes on rampage

@artmo 

"If he was born in the UK as has been stated how would you have dealt with him?"

You seem to be implying that because he was a Muslim that he might be treated differently?

Had he survived that shooting he should have been dealt with in the same way as any other terrorists even if (and it shouldn't) it makes our blood boil because of his particular religion. We should throw the book at them, or more properly rewrite that book so that these guys go away for a very long time. 

IRA prisoners served some of the longest time in the British penal system, so why is it now so different?

Oh hang on, I think I might know why.

Community Veteran
Posts: 19,363
Thanks: 455
Registered: ‎12-08-2007

Re: Another early release terrorist goes on rampage

If you had read @wotsup's post to which I replied you might have understood my post.

Community Veteran
Posts: 19,363
Thanks: 455
Registered: ‎12-08-2007

Re: Another early release terrorist goes on rampage


@Minivanman wrote:

@rEUnite 

And I am saddened by ignorance

 

Do some research on numbers, in the meantime I'll help you out with the fact that Muslims represent only around 2% of the population yet because of political correctness and fears of being called a racist or Islamaphobic their influence extends way beyond that.


 

And I'll help you out. A quick google search and we're told Muslims represent 5.02% of the UK population.