Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another drink changes flavour...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Another drink changes flavour...

When will this stop?
Coke introduced Diet Coke. That was bad.
Then we had Coke Zero, Sprite Zero, reduced sugar this, reduced sugar that... then Sprite went with a different sweetener and now tastes of chemical..
Now I've always been a fan of tropical flavour drinks like umbongo etc. Delmonte used to make a rather nice one but it was hard to find and about 7 years ago i got lucky when a local shop started selling it. I used to buy regular supplies as i consider squash to be boring. The local shop stopped selling the big cartons figuring they'd make more selling me the little ones. Needless to say I'm not a mug and refused to purchase them - leaving the shop with a large stockpile to get rid of  Grin
Anyhow today my partner has found it again in another shop - one of the discount chains. She brought me home a couple.. and yes they have also gone and changed their flavour (though the price is reduced).
Why must these companies do this? It's drinkable.. at a push but it just isn't the same as it used to be and i'm disgruntled.
/rant
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
10 REPLIES
PowerLee
Rising Star

Re: Another drink changes flavour...

Some people ( like myself ) cant drink sugary drinks due to medical conditions  Roll eyes so the diet / no sugar alternatives come in realty handy  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Nothing more annoying than finding a drink or some other item you like suddenly disappearing from the shelves or the taste being altered.
TORPC
Grafter

It's more likely caused as a result of costcutting,
The original ingredient(s) that were changed / swapped / altered, most likely have gone up in price & they are using a cheaper alternative
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

the changes are because of interactions by the ingredients forming harmful chemicals when the stuff is stored incorrectly or gets warm in transit, and the reason they all start to taste chemical is they are all chemical crud nowadays, only original formula stuff was any good and many of them had trace ammounts of class a drugs in ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Similar vein...anyone remember cresta from the 1970's ?
It's frothy man... it went away and when it came back out was watery and flavourless, then it dispersed altogether.
Sad day, why don't they learn?
Mars bars another example..the chocolate was brittle and hard but now is soft, pappy muck. Nowhere near as good.
Community Veteran

If you like fruit drinks look for a polish shop, see if they have 'timbark' drink. Various flavours, really refreshing and quite cheap. No fizz, no added sugars, really nice.
launton
Grafter

Sainsbury's don't use any artificial sweeteners in any of their own brand drinks range.  I like their 50% squash - I hate artificial sweetners.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: launton
I like their 50% squash - I hate artificial sweetners.

Me too - artificial sweeteners are disgusting!
Sprite is now using them and now tastes like chemicals... hence i am now known as 7up which appears to be holding out at the moment.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I can't drink anything with artificial sweeteners in - they make me sick.
I tried to buy some lemonade in Tesco - there wasn't a single brand which didn't have the sweeteners in. No cream soda in any shop other than Waitrose without the sweeteners in either. I now have to go to Sainsburys to buy lemonade.
Even the Tesco squash has now ended up with only a few flavours without the sweeteners in - I can't even buy lime cordial without having to take a trip to Sainsburys.
Grrrrrrrrrrrr
nanotm
Pro

it wont be long now before they all disappear, apparently the chemical crud has a shorter shelf life (before it starts to degrade into contaminated waste) and actually costs more to produce the same quantity of fluids apart from in the years where sugar crops are below average so it has a more stable price point making it more desirable in long term financial forecasts .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you