Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another death.

Highlighted
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Another death.

Another death by "bulldog-type dog" as nine year old attacked in Cornwall holiday park. 

Pit Bull or similar I guess but what sort of idiot would keep or want one. Whoever it is I hope they throw the book at them, big time. 

13 REPLIES 13
wotsup
Champion

Re: Another death.

Don't blame the dog,  most animals are naturally better behaved than humans, it is people who mess with their brains and cause incidents like this,  Those dogs simply attract the wrong type of owner, usually someone who thinks it is a good thing to wear camouflage clothes to go shopping.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Most of the aggression is built into the breed and that attitude attracts a certain type of owner.

We had a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, lovely dog but lethal when caught unaware.

My parents kept a City centre pub so the dog was 'employed' as a guard dog. Slept through a burglary but managed to bite a policeman....

Crunchie
Rising Star

Sad, but we don't know the true context of this event.

As with many cases like this, the papers are happy enough to provide as much context as is neccessary for readers to leap to their own stereotypical views of the events (since clicks generates revenue).  More irate people jump on the bandwagon, share the links along with their idignation and the papers get more revenue as the story gets shared.

I prefer to reserve judgement until there's enough evidence to support making a judgement.

We don't know whether it's the dog, or the owners, or the kid that prompted this.

Pete
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@wotsup 

Not 'blaming' anybody, just those that feel the need to have a dog that has been bred for a specific purpose.

No different in some ways to those who buy say a Border Collie - a highly intelligent and highly mobile dog that is not exercised enough or even worse, left at home on it's own all day. No wonder some animals go round the twist and wreck the joint. 

I like dogs, it's some of the owners I have trouble with. :rolleyes:

wotsup
Champion

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/owners-not-breeds-predict-whether-dog-will-be-aggressive-1...

My sister in law has a chihuahua that she looks after for her daughter that is deadly and ultra-agressive ( all bared teeth and whites of eyes showing ), my brother had staffie bull terriers that the kids could lie in the basket with and were happy dogs.  The problem with the daughter is whenever the dog show bad behaviour she gives it a biscuit or treat to calm it down ( LOL ), thereby rewarding bad behaviour - simply because she does not understand dogs.  Truth is dogs are pack animals and don't mind being low down the pecking order as long as it is consistent,  many owners let the dog behave as though it is the alpha male and it will then treat both the owner and anyone it comes across as subservient - that is when problems occur,  humans who buy dogs as an accessory and don't bother to train them or learn much about them.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Good points, but I wouldn't have a Chihuahua as a guard dog neither would I have a Staffie as a family pet.

Gut instinct....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

.... and neither would I trust any dog around any child, and don't even get me started on those that allow their 'darling dog' to lick kids on the face.

Yuck.

TTman
Seasoned Pro

When I was young staffies were known as the nannie dog because they looked after and protected the children. How things have changed not only with dogs but the youngsters...both going same way!!!:sad:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

As stated earlier dogs have a pecking order, fine if they are introduced to the household when children and other pets are already present, not so fine if a baby arrives in the house after the dog and attention is transferred to the baby then you are asking for trouble.

Perhaps the problem is that many owners know little about dogs and their behaviour and buy the dog because it appeals to them.

I am temped to say potential dog owners should be required to attend a course at their own expense prior to or after getting a dog, no idea how that might work but courses are required for many other things so why not dog owners.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Dog licence £100 minimum, £50 if you adopt a homeless one?

Works for me, but then we no long have a dog. :smiley:

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

A quick search finds American Bull Pits for sale in the UK for around £500 a pop. Are people that stupid and anyway, I thought they were now illegal to either breed or purchase. 

Obviously not. :sad:

I wonder if there is a discount if you have a Skinhead haircut.

Madness.

wotsup
Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

A quick search finds American Bull Pits for sale in the UK for around £500 a pop. Are people that stupid and anyway, I thought they were now illegal to either breed or purchase. 

https://metro.co.uk/2018/03/09/pit-bulls-banned-uk-7374795/

They are a banned breed,  you can get an exemption to own one ( god only knows why) but cannot breed or sell them.

Maybe you can get an exemption if 95% of your skin is covered with tattoos - but only if they are skulls or devils, Bambi tattoos don't qualify......

@Minivanman wrote:

don't even get me started on those that allow their 'darling dog' to lick kids on the face.

Yuck.

Agreed, any creature that licks its own cohones and other dogs arsenals can keep its tongue to itself, apparently licking is a sign of submission ....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well they are certainly out there and maybe under a different name?

"Bully" seems popular but there are other pseudonyms I'm sure especially for those 'in the know'.

'Welsh Yorkshire Terrier' perhaps.