cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another dangerous Sport Identified

Community Veteran

Another dangerous Sport Identified

Forgot to post this link when I saw it earlier in the week.  Looks like 10 pin bowling is the latest casualty of the health and safety mafia.  Can't say I agree, I love the game Smiley
http://tinyurl.com/yc4jqka Smiley
15 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Another dangerous Sport Identified

Hmmm I've been going bowling since I was about 6 and so far have failed to have any kind of injury, maybe I'm doing something wrong Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Agree with you there.  I could suggest better ways to spend £250,000 Sad
Fixes: 105

To save any future reports they can feel free to copy and paste this:
"All sport and physical activity will contain some element of risk. The more stupid and lacking in common sense you are the greater that risk will be"
Should just about cover it I think.
Will Moderate For Thanks
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I liked this bit from one of the comments: "There's a term for this sort of obsessive reasoning: Compulsive Risk Assessment Psychosis."
Not young enough to know everything
Fixes: 125

I've been 10-pin bowling since the '70s The only injury I've ever seen was a bruise on my dad's leg when he attempted to play one time. He kept banging the ball against his leg each time he bowled  Grin
Last time I went (around 4 months ago) I was asked for my name and address. When I asked why they'd need it I was told 'Health & Safety' and 'we need a contact in case of injury'.
Can't remember what name and address I gave them now  Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: 4Candles
I liked this bit from one of the comments: "There's a term for this sort of obsessive reasoning: Compulsive Risk Assessment Psychosis."

The acronym of which is: [Censored]
Edit. not surprisingly the acronym was censored, but I think you'll be able to work it out.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Well spotted Petlew.  Says it all really doesn't it Wink Wink
Community Veteran

As it happens a few weeks ago; at the bowls club I'm a member of, received a grant to replace the "soft" filling that is used in the green edge gully (this is around a foot or so deep, and is used to protect the bowls from damage when they "fall" in) Some concern was expressed that certain aging members may have difficulty bending down to retrieve their bowls from the gully. In answer to the question; do we provide a bowls lifter (available at any bowls shop) for this purpose? Answer: no!
The grant was provided, H&S went off muttering into their collective beards.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Community Veteran

Good story Petlew.  Pity more people don't make a stand!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

When is this country going to return to some sort or normality?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I'm in a rather odd position. During my time at Heathrow, I was chairman of a trade union H&S. As you might well imagine, for staff airports are among the most dangerous of places to work, second only to mines by some reckoning (aside from military)  I like to think I ran my little empire with common-sense, but was often approached about some of the most hair-brained schemes in the name of H&S, usually by staff who were trying to make names for themselves.
I suspect some of these people must now be working in local government. Still trying to make names for themselves.
When faced with a genuine issue, I made it my business to find the airport manager responsible for the assumed problem, and start a dialog with him/her to resolve the matter, rather than flinging the trade union weight around. True, some of my union colleagues didn't much like my approach, but it got things done, if too quietly for some tastes. 

Community Veteran

Quote from: okrzynska
When is this country going to return to some sort or normality?

When we stop letting the lunatics run the asylum Sad
pierre_pierre
Grafter

If you’re not afraid of heights, there’s "Tema Park" in Las Vegas