cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another aspect to Electric cars

Highlighted
Fixes: 416

Re: Another aspect to Electric cars

All new cars should be fitted with pedals and a chain drive as in a bicycle.

Pedals would be fitted in all seating positions which would encourage owners to car share as much as possible.

Taxis and buses would be so equipped increasing the health of drivers and passengers alike.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Strat wrote:

All new cars should be fitted with pedals and a chain drive as in a bicycle.

Russia's already on it... 😂

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

It is fairly widely accepted that you take the claimed range of BEV and multiply it by 0.65 - this is from reviews and road test and articles.  so 300 miles becomes just over 200, a claimed 200 miles about 120, etc.... this is because the range is arrived at on a flat track at a steady 50mph in warmer weather with no lights or heating required.  Another problem that unless we have more nuclear power stations ( which seem to have staled in the half built stage at the moment ) the amount of space required by wind turbines to supply demand for 35million BEV is astronomical..   The other thing that is just coming out is that fast charging damages the batteries,  in fact a Nissan leaf will only allow one fast charge per day - after that the computer says NO and you are stuck with a 3hour+ charge at a public point.  It was Tesla of all people that did tests with fast charging and the battery life was reduced form an expected 10 years, 200,000 miles to 2 years and about 60,000 miles... This kind of thing only comes out when things have been around for a while and facts take over the hype..

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@Baldrick1  you are only seeing the mileage argument in @petlew  posting.... the point he is making is that if you are stuck somewhere there is no charging point for miles.. e.g. motorway for a long time... and you use the battery to keep warm, it will run out... and you are stuck.  so the accident you have just been waiting to clear, could be, for example, as soon as you hit the motorway,, 10 miles from home... 7

@Baldrick1  stated..... So to me range when fully charged/tanked is key to the argument.

the electric car manufacturers 240 mile range will be eroded very quickly trying to keep warm 230 miles short of the estimated fully charged/tanked  figure!! ..

.if you were in the same situation with Petrol or Diesel, prudently, you ( i do ) always carry a gallon in the boot, for just such emergencies as "running out of power"..... ( due to running the engine to keep warm?????? )  with petrol or diesel you could be running the engine for periods to keep warm... for hours, and still have the gallon to get off the motorway at the next available junction to refuel...   can`t do that with battery power, unless you tow a trailer behind with the spare..... !  Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Using the WLTP figure of 4 miles/kWh, an EV doing 10,000 miles in a year will need 2500 kWh of electricity.  There are 8760 hours in a year, so this averages 285 watts.  A simple calculation shows that a wind farm in a stiff breeze can generate about 2 watts/sq metre, or say 1 watt/sq metre allowing for weather variation.  So each EV will need 285 sq metres of windfarm.  A million EV's would need 285 sq km if we are to go carbon-free and we don't want more nuclear power.  Are our politicians thinking about these things?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

All well and good @shutter but we don't all live in the frozen north and hopefully, summer will still come once a year and besides, was it not always the advice to keep a warm blanket in the car just in case you broke down? 

Stuck in mid winter traffic with an electric car (if you were daft enough to find yourself in that stationary position) - turn it off and snuggle down until help arrives or the traffic clears. 

"I have an idea, lets jump in the old battery powered jallopy and drive south through the snow for a couple of hundred miles".

Err, no.  

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 107

Get stuck on the M6 over Shap on a freezing night and a blanket's not going to do much good.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@MisterW 

Depends on the blanket, and I did say a warm one. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Given the world's ice caps are melting, we're all going to be underwater, so a blanket is the least of your worries, you need to take a life raft in the car if things are to be believed... 😂

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 120

@shutter wrote:

@Baldrick1  you are only seeing the mileage argument in @petlew  posting.... the point he is making is that if you are stuck somewhere there is no charging point for miles.. e.g. motorway for a long time... and you use the battery to keep warm, it will run out... and you are stuck.  so the accident you have just been waiting to clear, could be, for example, as soon as you hit the motorway,, 10 miles from home... 7

@Baldrick1  stated..... So to me range when fully charged/tanked is key to the argument.

the electric car manufacturers 240 mile range will be eroded very quickly trying to keep warm 230 miles short of the estimated fully charged/tanked  figure!! .

This has set me off thinking. Let's take the argument a bit further. I can imagine that you could stay warm in a car with a 1kW fire continually burning? If so and taking the electric car using 1kWh per 4 miles figure then if my maths are correct you will lose 4 miles range per hour of sitting with the heater on. So maybe it's not that bad? Obviously if you have demisters on blasting hot air up a cold windscreen and if you are sucking in cold air rather that recirculating the air in the car then the power requirements will be much higher. So battery power can be reduced in this situation by the application of common sense..

The amount of power that you carry in your car is dependent on either remaining battery capacity or fuel in your tank, so range when this scenario occurs is key regardless of whether the car is battery or conventionally powered.

.if you were in the same situation with Petrol or Diesel, prudently, you ( i do ) always carry a gallon in the boot, for just such emergencies as "running out of power".....

No, I do not carry spare fuel. If I did I would forget it and fail to change it periodically and if I needed to use it I would probably end up with an air locked fuel system containing a gallon of stale fuel.

Instead I have a car with a 600 mile range, which I keep topped up, especially if going on a long journey.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

That reminds me, I have 5L of petroljuice in the shed I've not used (though I did dose it with stabilser to keep it "fresh"), will need to burn that in something at somepoint to free up the petrol can... 🤔

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@MisterW wrote:

Get stuck on the M6 over Shap on a freezing night and a blanket's not going to do much good.

Might depend on which part of Shap you are on.....if past the summit you could always freewheel down to Tebay services and have a cup of coffee whilst waiting for the breakdown services.

Just be careful with the brakes, they don’t work well without the servo.

😄

Highlighted
Community Veteran

As I have mentioned before I used to have a petrol / gas cavalier. I suppose it would be called a petrol / gas hybrid today. Ran well, nice and clean when running on gas. But in the end it failed because of the lack of gas refuelling points.

Which leads to the current lack of charging points. So if this is being backed by councils, at some point an edict will come down from on high make more, a lot more. So will we get charging points added to city street car park spaces? Because in the end that's what is needed. 

Then the costs will inevitably get passed on. Even higher parking charges. Even higher council tax.

My city centre is already somewhere I no longer go. Too expensive to park. Most of the old massive shops now student accommodation. Just lots of coffee shops, phone shops, and bookies. People prefer actual shopping in out of city centre areas where it's easy to park and they sell needed goods.

So people will end up paying out a lot for the privilege of not driving an electric car that they can't afford. That's going to go down like a lead balloon. Maybe we will end up with another countrywide disagreement with politicians. Will that be an Elexit?😀

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

Just be careful with the brakes, they don’t work well without the servo.

😄

Just needs more elbow grease, or would that be knee grease? 😂

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Of course if you really want to change things electric vehicles are a waste of time.

All that needs to happen is kids attend their nearest school. Teachers live near the school. Likewise parents live near where they work.

If the end people don't travel more than a few miles from the village they were born in.😀

Maybe electric vehicles has a slightly better chance of catching on. But as the other has zero chance that's not saying much.