cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another aspect to Electric cars

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Another aspect to Electric cars

Easy fix, get one of them chinese webasto/eberspacher-clone diesel-fuelled air heaters, add a deep-cycle leisure battery to power it (charged via the same means as the main accessory battery which is usually a 12v affair), fit it somewhere handy and hey presto, a nice warm electric go-kart for use in the deepest darkest of winters when you get stuck in 3mm of the white stuff... 😁

Or, just, y'know, leave the toy at home and drive a well-established technology that is far less likely to fail when you need it the most... 🤣

Fixes: 384

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Electric cars make perfect sense if you need a local run around and for short commutes, providing you have off road parking so that you can recharge it overnight on cheap electricity or other cheap recharge options.

As I have said before, cheap overnight electricity is only cheap because of low demand during those hours.

When we have x,000 electric vehicles charging overnight, demand for electricity will rise considerably and so will prices.

Edit my bold.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 107

@Strat 

Totally agree. Also if you look at the basic fuel cost electric cars are only cheap because of the obscene amount of tax on road fuel.

if say the tax free cost ot petrol/diesel is around 40p per litre and taking the approximate energy content of 10kwh per litre, this puts the real cost of fuel at around 4p per kwh. 

And the cost of supplying 1kwh of green energy to you is?

So where is the lost multi billions in road fuel tax going to have to come from? Ah, you and me one way or another!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@twocvbloke 

"Or, just, y'know, leave the toy at home and drive a well-established technology that is far less likely to fail when you need it the most.. "

Like when horse power first took over horse driven you mean. 😁

As said we have to start somewhere and it's early days and also as said, we have little choice in the matter as oil runs out and the world continues to burn because of 'imaginary' climate changes.

I can just see motorways of the future being used like canals of the past. A week away as we poodle along at only fifty miles an hour. How relaxing. 

Baldrick1
Hero

@twocvbloke 

Talking of heaters took me back to the 60's. I remember the first time I was given a lift by a work colleague on a freezing morning. He had an air cooled Fiat 500. It was as warm as toast but smelled somewhat. "Hang on whilst I turn down the heater" said my driver and reached behind my seat. I then spotted that he had removed the tiny rear bench seat and fitted an old paraffin heater. He turned down the wick and away we went!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Baldrick1 

Indeed, and they'll get the money out of us somehow and pretty much the same was as they did at the beginning of the last century. Mind you, then it was ring fenced for road construction until the coalition government of Churchill consolidated it.

Got that last bit from Wiki  😎

Highlighted
Community Veteran

A paraffin heater in a car? Couldn't possibly imagine what could go wrong there!!! 🤣

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Electric cars certainly get the feathers flying - almost like Brexit but without being rude to each other!

Capture.PNG

Anyway, don't care what you say, I want one. 😆

Sold, to that man at the back with no money!

Baldrick1
Hero

@twocvbloke 

I agree but maybe this is a pointer to a future world of only electric cars. Obviously there will be no paraffin. Rear seat bonfires perhaps?

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

Anyway, don't care what you say, I want one. 😆

Sold, to that man at the back with no money!

I'd have thought this would be more to your liking!!!:

😂

Community Veteran

@Baldrick1 wrote:

I agree but maybe this is a pointer to a future world of only electric cars. Obviously there will be no paraffin. Rear seat bonfires perhaps?

Nah, got to go electric couple of these from china maybe? 🤣

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223726261929

s-l1600

Baldrick1
Hero

No good. I was looking for ways to make the battery last long enough to get to work on a cold day.

Community Veteran

Best way to make the battery last longer, just fit a towbar and have a diesel generator on tow... 🤣

arcgen_400_cccv_new_1

Could even charge the car on the go aswell... 😂

Baldrick1
Hero

@twocvbloke 

Ah, a sensible solution to the electric car range issue at last.

Hang on though, if you were to build the generator into the car instead of towing it you have described a sensible self charging hybrid car. I've already got one thanks..

Community Veteran

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Hang on though, if you were to build the generator into the car instead of towing it you have described a sensible self charging hybrid car.

That said, if the engine from the generator were to drive the wheels directly instead of going through batteries wires and motors, it would negate the need to generate electricity!!! 😂